Hi, I am a forty five years old woman. Recently I was having a dry mouth symptom. After seeing a doctor, I was diagnosed with an illness that I have never heard about before. It is Sjogren's syndrome. He also prescribed some medicine. But now new problems occurred. I am developing leg rash. Is there a link between Sjogren's and leg rash?

Hi, Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease which means that our own immune system recognizes tissue in our organism as a threat. As a result it fights it and an inflammation occurs. When it comes to Sjogren's, the affected parts are moisture producing glands. The symptoms of Sjogren's disease are, usually, dry mouth and dry eyes. The treatment consists of medications that act against the symptoms. The link between Sjogren's syndrome and a leg rash, that you have developed, would, on my opinion, be the medications that you were prescribed. It could be that you are allergic to it and that is what has caused the rash. There is also a possibility that Sjogren's syndrome, since it is an autoimmune disease, caused widespread skin damage displayed through the rash. This would mean that it affected your skin as well. I suggest you talk to your doctor about it immediately so that he can evaluate the newly developed situation.

Hi Christi, The leg rash is most likely something called vasculitis, which is a less common symptom of Sjogren's Syndrome. I have had it for over 25 years. The best way I've found to deal with it is to wear compression stockings. Good luck!

My daughter had repeated leg rashes which she could not definitively connect to any cause. Doctors couldn't determine cause, until 2 factors were put together: 1 - mildly high (I have forgotten : the numbers related to possible autoimmune tendency) and 2 - her maternal grandmother had Diffuse Systemic Scleraderma. BINGO: Tests for Sjogrens. Thanks to the leg rash, she was diagnosed within 6 months of onset of symptoms, though in hindsight, she may have started experiencing dry mouth and dry eye earlier.

Hi Paula, I'm experiencing this vasculitis also, I'm new to this. It's my only symptom. Could we perhaps email? Is like to ask you a few questions! Thank you!

Hi, Christi. I was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome about 3 years ago. When I stopped taking my medication, Evoxac, is when I started to notice a leg rash. It doesn't itch, isn't noticeable to the touch, but is blotchy red. The rash seems to come and go, but when it returns, the affected area continues to enlarge. It seems to be worse during the warmer months. Check with your doctor, and let us know what their response was.

Sure, I'd be happy to answer your questions if I can.

I had a skin rash for many years before I was diagnosed with SjogrenS. I went to many doctors but no one had a clue. The rash would come and go, look hot and angry but did not hurt or itch. I am now taking hydroxycloriquin and I have fewer rashes.