Hello. My wife has been suffering from lupus for years. It seems that she is all right, but lately I have noticed some skin area without pigment. I thought it could be vitiligo, but I am not sure I am right. If this is true, what is the connection between these two disorders? Does anyone know this?

Hello there tim1818,

First of all I am so sorry that your wife has to deal with Lupus. My mother is suffering from it so I am aware how supportive we need to be sometimes. Also, if you have any concerns regarding your questions between vitiligo and Lupus you should consult your wife’s doctor.

Both are autoimmune disorders and you know that this means that your wife’s immune system is attacking healthy cells. In vitiligo the result of this is depigmentation of the skin. In the beginning this looks like small white patches but it can easily spread. It can be reduced with proper therapy so your wife should ask her doctor about this anyway. I hope that this was helpful.

lupus erythematosus