I visited my cousins in California. They kept talking about trail running. They told me that trail running has become more and more popular. Also they said that many people enjoyed it worldwide. They claim that there are over 6.7 million regular trail runners in the United States and probably over 40 million around the world. What is so special about you, trail runners and how different are you from the rest of us?

Are you planning to join us? If so, you have to know that we welcome everyone who has desire to run this way. Our races generally take place on hiking trails, usually single track trails. They are often inaccessible by road except at the trail heads. The trails cross varying terrain; hills, mountains, deserts, forests, and narrow passages. Because of steep inclines or rough terrain you have to hike or scramble from time to time. Participants in such runs must often ascend and descend steep grades. Our races differ from other races, since we enjoy the solitude of nature for the most of these runs. You are pretty much on your own. So it takes a tough guy/woman to be a trail runner. There are usually aid stations supplying food and beverage every 5 -10 km. Still, we usually carry our own water and food along the course, especially in longer races. On top of that, you have to have some navigational skills. Unlike organized races where the courses are very well marked here you have to find your way out of unfamiliar areas. Sometimes signs are scarce so you may drift off course if you do not have a map. Regardless of all it is one heck of the race and I wouldn’t trade it for any other.