I live in a great void of running. I can't even find a 10k within 200 miles any time within the next 3-4 months. Really hurts the motivation when you want to run a good race and have to settle for an uninteresting 5k with 65 people.

If you were going to move, would you take the area's running qualities into consideration?

Where would you move if you were moving solely for a good running community - or at least a heck of a lot of awesome races nearby?

Jacksonville has an active racing series around the year. Not many 10K's but lots of 5K's several 1/2 marathons an marathon, an ultra, a 15K and from here you can easily drive to Orlando or even Tampa for races.

I have always heard good things about the running scene in Colorado, I would check that out if I were moving soley for the running.

One of the great things about running is you don't have to live in a running "rich" area to do it, like team sports or sports that require special facilities. Its just you and shoes. To me, a good running location would be one that is condusive to training outdoors year round and that receives fedex shipments from Road Runner sports.

The Vancouver area in general is "running rich"...plenty of races year round to choose from...only thing is it can get quite competitive especially among the age groups

To answer your question about moving just because it is agood running city I am not sure I would. It would depend on other factors.

You're still in Duluth, right?

I see some 10ks, 15k, 10 mile, half marathon, an abundance of 5k's.

Look at July 4 Firecracker 10k. 900 finishers last year.

jrjo might be able to help you find some good northern races, though.

:1:
The Denver area in particular.

I travel at least 1.5 hours for just about any race.

I've read that Bend, Oregon is great for runs.
Or Northern California for the amount of trail runs and ultras going on.

no 10K within 200 miles = :umno: that's pretty bad.

i thought i was out of it.

I keep telling DH to look for jobs there, more for the type of running (hills, altitude, scenery) rather than the competitive stock or races. One child is not happy with talk of another move.

I have been checking out the job market lately and it is hot out that way. If the weather keeps up like this much longer, I may just up and move.
another plus to that area is the sports related care you can get. Not to mention the alternative medicine scene.

Not to rain on Mech's parade, but he lives approximately 150 miles from Minneapolis. We've got a solid running scene.

Not to rain on Pug's parade, but I don't live in Duluth anymore.

Move back.