First off, how can they expect me to think this is practical when the damn bottle is 6 feet tall??!! :P anyway, something is keeping me from buying a fuel belt (too serious or something...can't put my finger on it). Anyone use a water bottle like this? If so, what are your thoughts on comfortability and practicality?

Joel I would not only because I like to buy the small ones I can get at the convenience store that way when I am done drinking the water while running I just find a trash can and toss it.
I think that would be too much to carry unless you were doing laps on the track or something like that.

I usually carry a water bottle with me anyway, Joe so it's really NOT that much of an issue...Besides, I don't like to go through too many water bottles (what a waste, yech!).

then put some heavy water in it and strengthen those arms champ

I carry a water bottle for the first 1.5 miles of my long run and that's the worst part of the whole run. I just can't seem to find a good rhythm with a bottle in my hand. I've got a Camelbak that I tried once (mostly for cycling) and that didn't work either, just too big.

I'd go for something you can carry in the small of your back or the fuel belt.

Ditto to PH - get the fuel belt, dude.

I prefer deprivation.

:1:
The Fuel belt rocks!
On my really long runs 16 to 20 miles, I carry some with me, besides the fuel belt (only for the first mile, then I set it down and pick it up on the way back) and like PH said, worst part of the run. Can't run with one of those things.

:1:
Mega dittos what they are saying. The fuel belt is the way to go and you don't even know it is there. Plus you can carry different fluids with you if want. I carry gatorade and water on some runs.

I start long races with a store bottle of Gatorade so I can skip the first few aid stations which are a nightmare and toss the bottle when I'm done.

I stash bottles along my route, usually at the fire hall so those nice uniformed men will watch over it for me . My first race isn't until May 25, but I was planning on drinking their water.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and really like it. The one I got is contoured to fit your palm so it's pretty comfy. My only advice is not to put ice in it. The first 1.5 mile I had to keep switching hands due to frostbite.

This is what I use, and it has worked well for me during my long runs

This one works great if you are only doing intervals.

I too have been searching for the way to carry liquids. I usually have the hubby ride his bike with me on my longs runs, but he doesn't always/ can't always go. I took a PLASTIC BAGGIE with me last weekend 8O I tucked it into my shorts. It was ok, but not much water in it! I ran with a water bottle once and had sore arms the next day! 8O 8O So i'm with all of ya hatin the water bottle thing. i was thinking about trying some sort of belt. The fuel belt does appear to be "barely there" since all the thingys are so small.