My best friend is not an athlete. She's not out of shape, though.
I told her I was doing a half in a few months. She seemed geniuely
worried, and under the impression that I had lost it. Seeing that look on her face made me crack up. I'm sure that didn't help convince her of my sanity.
A close friend, a talented gymnastics and tae-kwon-do chick, seemed shocked but happy for me.
Others don't know how far I run. I'm slightly afraid of their reaction if I were to tell them such.

Most of my friends are runners.... but the ones who aren't think it's kind of weird, and quite stupid to do it. They think it hurts me, and all that good stuff. Well, maybe it does, but it also feels brilliantly good, so it's worth it!!

My friends fall into two categories:

1. Super fit folks, some run. All climb and are very active. They completely fail to understand anyone that does not take care of themselves.

2. "Normal" people that are pretty much un-fit and completely fail to understand those of us that take care of ourselves.

These two groups are mutually exclusive, have no overlap and basically divide my life in two parts. I like it.

I guess I've got two categories too...

1 :: friends made as a result of being a runner and runners themselves. Really some of the best friendships I have.

2 :: friends made elsewhere that aren't runners are mostly impressed by the commitment, endurance and benefits of running.

...about the only people that have no idea what it's all about are my in-laws and I suppose that's just the law of nature, guys just aren't intended to get in-laws that understand them :shrug:

My friends that know think it's great. Of course, most people in Boston thinks runners are great. You should see my part of town on Marathon Day. The race goes right by my apartment, then turns the corner on to Boylston Street for the last stretch of the race. I remember seeing the winner of last year's race come flying down the road. I was amazed! He had gone 26 miles and was still chugging along full steam. Everyone went crazy.

I bought my first pair of running shoes that day. It took me two hours to get to the mall two blocks from my apartment and back because I had to go around to the end of the race, then loop back around, trying to fight through the huge crowd.

After that I watched the people at the end of the race. They inspired me much more than the winner did, because they were just normal people that had pushed themselves to their limits for the past 4 hours. I saw a lot of injured people, and I remember one girl who had hurt her leg so badly she could walk. She said to her family as I walked past "It was worth it!" I thought that was great!

Anyway...just my little story. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I have no friends that seriously run. I know one person that runs/jogs very slowly and never tries to improve. I don't understand her and don't try. But practically no one understands me and running. I don't have anyone to talk to about running or races. I could, but it'd be pointless; It's meaningless to them. I could run a 20 minute 5k and have people saying great job when I tell them, but they have no clue what it means. They'll never understand what a 6:40 mile feels like, or why that's such a poor time for me. They'll never understand anything about running until they get out and do it. And everyone I know... won't.

Which is why I'm here, I suppose.

I mentioned to a friend before I went out and did a 5K, that I was going to do a run. She looked at me like I was crazy and asked, "Why?!" and said she hated running.

Strange reactions sometimes, heh. ;D

~Astara~

I have no friends that run, period. Most think it's strange. Everyone hates running and can't understand why I love it. And like MED, that's why I'm here.

I have one friend who thinks I'm crazy, too old, not athletic enough to start training for my first marathon. He's really just annoyed that I have less time available to hang out and drink beer.

Everyone else thinks its great.

My wife sometimes complains that I spend too much time reading about running when there are other things to be done.

LMAO - I know what you mean about the wife complaining Steve! Mine hates the weekends because I wake up at 7am for a run then on Sundays I am out the door early for a long run.

My closest friends (friends I've known since high school) who are mostly out of shape think I'm crazy and call me a hardcore...They don't understand how I could run 6 days a week rain, snow, or shine...
My parents are the worst (especially my mom)...they actually try to discourage me from running saying that it's bad for the knees and my overall health...My mom is actually worried that I'm planning to run a marathon later this year
Fortunately I know a number of other friends who are also runners/triathletes so it's not so bad. Through taking part in group runs and as a member of the triathlon club, I have made a number of friends through these activities
My supervisor with whom I worked with last summer and will be again after graduation was a competitive marathoner (2:36 PR) during his 20s and early 30s...he's not running competitively anymore due to his busy schedule but he still encourages me continue with long distance running. I say that's pretty cool to have a supervisor like that..
My former piano teacher (had him for 8 years) was a former competitive runner and ironman triathlete during his younger days. Besides piano, we used to chat about training and racing among other things..He shared with me some of his experiences as well as some training tips. We still keep in touch through email and sometimes in person..I update him about my latest races.

I think most of mine are secretly jealous that I find the time to train. All of us have been out of school for 5-6 years and are well into getting our careers on the proper path. They have all been keeping up with the unhealthy eating and have started to gain weight, have minor health issues and in general always feel like c**p.
It's kinda funny, I was the junk food eater, smoker/heavy drinker in school. Completely opposite from what I am now and sadly, I have very little left in common with them. That's probably why we don't hang out as much anymore.

Yeah, a lot of my friends are runners, or do other sports. I guess they're cool with it or else they wouldn't be my friends still after all this time. But most of them are understanding.

Most think I'm crazy or obsessed. :shrug:

I usually get the comment,"I don't even walk a mile in a year, so I cannot fathom how you run miles. The most exercise I get is from the walking between the refridgerator and the couch".

They don't get it and that's ok. As long as they don't impose or try to persuade me to live my life differently (like them), I'm ok with it.

ditto not a whole lot of my friends run; they're pretty much the "non-fit, normal crowd," but it's cool. it's sometimes a bummer though having only one or two friends who i can tell my tales of awesome runs and they'll understand why i'm so excited and actually be excited with me, as opposed to the somewhat disaffected "that's pretty cool" or baffled "you're nuts" responses. i don't really expect empathy from my non-running friends though, i think that would be a little unfair, as i doubt i'll ever be able share with a few of them the pride evident in their voices on friday night as they proclaim "i am so drunk" or the excitement of a few others when halo 2 came out and so on and so forth. so it's all good, but it's made me all the more thankful to have that anchor of just a couple people who i can call up and count on to get it.