I'm reading this excellent book about endurance athletes and nutrition because, basically, I realize my diet really needs to change. I feel tired and can't keep up with the calories I'm losing from my runs and need to gain at least 5 lbs. I've gotten advice about grazing, eating 4 meals a day... This is good advice, but it's hard to work all of this around the running and not to mention it's hard to eat when I'm really not hungry. Anyway, how are you getting in the extra calories in a healthy way? I'm not talking processed food. What type of diets are you following? For example, what does a typical day of eating consist of for you? How much are you drinking a day to keep up with the fluid loss? Drinking more is also challenging because I'm really not all that thristy, but I just read that thrist is a horrible gage of how well hydrated a person is.

Shelly

I think I read/have the same book Endurance Sports Nutrition, Very good book. I get my extra calories through, power bars in the morning and a light snack; pretzels, peanuts etc in the afternoon. At night I usually have cheese and crackers I drink about a gallon of water a day. Eat 3 good meals and about 3 snacks a day. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Just make sure I get a right balance of protein and carbs really. Since I work long hours and over nights I have to watch my intake sometimes. Try to just keep a balance though

I'm pretty tights with my diet on most days. I try to eat mostly whole grain breads, low-fat meats (tuna, turkey and chicken and sometimes salmon), tons of raw fruits and veggies and beans. The only processed supplement I take is a protein shake. I have a hard time getting enough protein through plant/meat sources so I take the easy way out.

If I fall off the wagon and eat too much junk, my training really suffers. I just can't keep up a good hard training routine and give the motor crappy fuel.

Feel free to ask more questions, I'm not a nutritionist, but I play one on the internet. ;)

I find eating a lot of meat and fat slows down my recovery. I try to focus on eating mainly carbs. Also, my appetite is dropping considerably! I'm drinking a lot of water, too.

I am reading Endurance Sports Nutrition as well. Almost done. :) I find that I have to work on getting enough calories as well. Now, I make sure I eat throughout the day. I have a drawer at my desk that is full of food, I call it the pantry. Below is a typical day durning the week.

Get to work at 7:15 Start drinking 1 liter of water
8:30 - bowl of oatmeal (1.5 servings, i.e. .75 cup), with raisins and brown sugar
10:30 - Fruit, usaully a banana or an apple
11:30 - a coke, my only soda of the day.
12:00 - lunch, usually a good size meal that includes a veggie, milk, and a yogurt or fruit
1:30 - Peanuts, start drinking my 2nd 1 liter of water
2:30-3:00 - some other small snack

I run after I get home from work and eat dinner usually around 6:30 or so. I also have a snack around 8 and drink a few glass of fruit juice. the fruit juice supplies ~120 calories and fluids as well as giving me a break from plain water.

Since, I started training for the Madcity Marathon, but eating habits have improved quite a bit. I find I just can't handle fast food or fatty meals any more.

This could be me. Anyway, yeah, when I started going over 30 miles a week, the diet issues really started becoming apparent. Slower performance...realizing I can't run eating certain foods.
Anyway, I'm struggling with the 2 liters of water a day. It makes me really full, but I realize I need to be hydrated. I also cut caffeine out, and I'm so addicted to Coke. This is hard. If I drink alcohol, I've started to drink a glass of water to compensate for the effect of of it, and, actually, since New Years (which afterall is a special day to celebrate) haven't drunk any.

O.K., so what do you do about those long morning runs? I can't eat before the run, maybe a powerbar, and water would freeze during the run. Sometimes, I have to stop at a Marathon (how appropriate) for a Gatorade during my long run which screws up my pace and sloshes around in my stomach...but then, a few miles later, the hydrated feeling will hit me and I'll have a nice boost of energy. Do you drink extra on the day before? Do you get up in the middle of the night to eat a breakfast, so you have some fuel for the run in the morning? Just wondering.

Shelee, during the warmer months I drink almost 3 liters a day but that is because I spend most of the day infront of a computer with the water starring me in the face. (the rest of the day is going to the rest room to expell all the water I am drinking.) On the weekends I have a tough time drinking 2 liters. What really helps me is to carry the bottle with me where ever I go.

As far as carry water (or gatorade) with you on a run. I highly recommend the Fuel Belt. It is one of the best purchases I have made for running. I where it under my wind breaker and that keeps the water from freezing. The best part is that you can bring different drinks in each bottle. I only bring 2 bottles with me on my runs but for $5 more the 4 bottle belt was the better deal. On my long runs I take a water and a gel mixed with water. (I premix my gels cause I can't eat while running, drinking is tough enough).

Great advice. Thanks!

I eat a lot of bread in the morning before my long run. a) because Saturday is more of a 'cheat' day diet-wise and b) I really like bread. I don't have any problems eating before I run unless I really stuff myself.
When I do my 14 mile run (which is the 7 mile loop 2 times) I have a water bottle at the start/finish and a Gatorade at the half-way out point. I can drink quite a bit and keep running too. Again, I only get into trouble if I really over hydrate and my stomach gets full.

I am a Suzanne Girard Eberlee devotee and LOVE that book!!! My body must be the odd one, because I tend to have higher protein needs than most people and have had better success with a steak, baked potato and green beans type of dinner the night before a longer race than a huge plate of pasta, which tends to make me sluggish and bloated (keep in mind my longest race to date has been a half).

I'm not real anal with my diet although I don't eat a lot of junk food and rarely eat fast food anymore, except to indulge the occasional craving for KFC Popcorn Chicken! ;) I struggled for many years with ED issues so over time I have had to learn a great deal about nutrition, what my body can tolerate and what it can't, plus the CFIDS is also affected by diet. Sounds like you may have had some similar issues in your past? That will make it harder to settle into a healthy eating routine. I'm no nutritionist either but I feel like I could be, I've studied it long enough! LOL!

Basically, before my long runs on the weekends and the morning of a race longer than 10K, I eat a bagel with a little bit of peanut butter on it for protein and drink a big glass of Gatorade or Powerade, usually watered down a bit, it's a little too sweet for my taste full strength. I take another, more concentrated one with me for after the run/race. Only in the summer do I carry water, I normally just hydrate well the night before and the morning of and I am OK. I need to work at drinking more during the day during the week, I'm not so good at that.

I do like protein powder smoothies for an inbetween "meal"...add some fruit and nonfat vanilla or berry flavored yogurt and it's tasty! Or, do that for breakfast if you cannot tolerate solid food and take the bagel or some crackers and maybe a low fat string cheese for later.

PM me offline if you want to talk more....I could write forever! :)

Shelee, One more thing. Try using fitday to track your daily consumption for a week or two. It can be kind of a pain in the but to do but I have learned a ton about my eating habits from this.

When i'm training i eat much more frequently, and much much healthier. I practically grow sprouts out of my pores from the amoutn of veggies i eat.

No, I've never had an eating disorder, even when I danced. You know, with all the running comes a different body with different needs, and this is where I'm struggling. I kind of ignored the nutrition part when I first started running, staying at the same calorie and type of foods I had been eating before I started running, and now that I'm training for longer races, it just can't be ignored because I started burning more calories than I'm consuming. That's why I came to all of you for help, so I could compare what's going on in my diet with other runners' diets and get some good advice (and thanks, you all came through!).
My husband's sister is an anorexic, so I could use some advice about getting her help. Seems no one in the family really wants to do anything about it. In fact, her mom thinks she looks great at 5'4" and 89 pounds. :( I think she looks disgusting, no muscle tone just a walking skeleton. I look at her and feel really bad for her and never want to look like that, ever. My husband took her aside at the last get-together and told her she needs to gain weight, and she told him to leave her alone and that she was perfectly fine. He's worried but said there's not much anyone can do about it but her. :shrug: