An acquaintance of mine has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia. She has always had a lot of mental health problems and was always in and out of mental health clinics. She was even committed once. I went to visit her in the clinic she is currently staying at and I heard she is experiencing various tactile hallucinations. What kind of tactile halluncinations can happen in schizophrenia?

Oh, there are lots of possibilities, ranging from the somewhat feasible to the utterly unbelievable. Insects crawling underneath the skin is a very common one for some reason. The person with schizophrenia can also feel they are being touch by something or someone, when nobody is there. To the patient, the sensations are completely believable and feel real. Some do become aware that they are hallucinating when they are in the midst of one, but this is rare.