Recently my brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia. He is 25 and he was always different while we were growing up. I guess now I know why, and it is so sad. There is no history of schizophrenia in my family so I am wondering is this diagnosis 100% sure. Can I get more information? Thanx

The chance that the doctors have made a wrong diagnosis of your brother's condition is very low. However, if you and your family have your doubts you can always ask another opinion. Schizophrenia is characterized by profound disruption in cognition and emotion and it is affecting the most fundamental human attributes like language, thought, perception, affect and sense of self. The symptoms of schizophrenia are usually hallucinations-psychotic manifestations such as hearing internal voices or experiencing sensations that are not connected to an obvious source and delusions-assigning unusual significance or meaning to normal events. Depending on their impact on diagnosis and treatment, symptoms of schizophrenia are divided into positive and negative ones. Positive symptoms are those that appear to reflect an excess or distortion of normal functions. Negative symptoms are those that appear to reflect a diminution or loss of normal functions. When it comes to diagnosis of schizophrenia, it requires at least one month duration of two or more positive symptoms. It is difficult to evaluate negative symptoms because they are not abnormal as positives ones and can be caused by a variety of other factors. They often persist in the lives of people with schizophrenia during periods of low positive symptoms.

My daughter was diagnosed as a schizophrenic when she was 17 year. Now she is 30. I made a research and I do not agree with the doctors that didn't performed enough tests. I contacted several experts and they told me to look for experts.
Firstable ,
the doctors should exclude other illnesses but they didn't want to do it because the insurance companies doesn't want to pay for tests.
I think, psychiatry is a mine of gold for them.
I asked them for more tests during the period of 12 years and they did nothing.
Presently, I am looking for neurology experts and might be paid on my own.
My daughter was normal child until 17 years old and I do not believe in schizophrenia illness. Doctors say schizophrenia because they don't know the real problem and they afraid to perform more test not to loose their job. I not only have a hope that one day we find a problem , but also I believe in that 99%, based on my 12 years research.
Please, don't give up, even It might take years. Do your own research on schizophrenia like illness. Good luck.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder for 23 years.  Just recently I saw a Psychiatrist in Boulder, Colorado and he said that the types of visual and auditory hallucinations are more like visual/auditory distortions.  The Doctor said that 50% patients who he treats...( and psychiatric evaluates), who were previously diagnosed with schizophrenia do not have schizophrenia and have a different psychiatric disorder.  My diagnosis has been changed from Schizophrenia to Dependent Personality Disorder, which does not require any medication.. (just talk and Dialect Behavior Therapy "DBT"). My psychiatrist also said that 1% of the population has schizophrenia, and that 5% of the population has hallucinations.. but the 5% that have hallucinations do not have psychosis... hallucinations are actually common in the general public.