Hi, I hope you can help me because I am not sure how to handle my mother's condition any longer. She is 67 years old and she has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. She said that she heard some voices (has been like that for the past couple of months). I am not sure I can deal with that diagnose and I still hope that is not true. Are audible hallucinations necessarily a sign of schizophrenia?

Unfortunately, hallucinations really are a definite sign of some mental disorder, most probably schizophrenia. I guess you have to accept the fact she is ill and that she has to be treated. Be aware that she will most likely have suicidal thoughts and you have to be there for her. Hard time awaits you both, but with help of meds, things should be a bit better.

Hi there,
This is hard to tell because auditory hallucinations are one of the first symptoms of schizophrenia. In my opinion you don’t always have to have schizophrenia when you have auditory hallucinations but these are connected to the mental illness. The best chances to know if you have schizophrenia is to see a doctor and that he evaluates your condition. Has she been using any medication? There is a chance that this might also be a side effect from the pills if she uses any medication right now. This condition can be manageable but it is also hard to bare, so you have to be prepared for this as much as you can.
Best wishes,
Marco