Hi, I have a panic attack every time when I ‘m in the crowd or in the bus. It is so difficult to live like that! It started a few years ago, and it’s only getting worse. Doctor prescribed me antidepressant zoloft, but it doesn’t seam to help very much. Does anybody know what else could I use for my panic attacks?

Hi, I had the same problem in my 30s. Not only that I had panic attacks in crowd and buses like you, but I couldn’t get out from my flat, and face the people on the streets. It was a nightmare. Zofolt is a good medicine, maybe you haven’t used it long enough to see the results. It is FDA approved, and it treats obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic and many other disorders. There are also some other drugs you could try, like alprazolam, diazepam or clonazepam. They treat generalized anxiety, panic and phobias. I feel a lot better today, and I don’t have any problems facing people on the streets. To be honest, I am still avoiding buses, but it’s not as bad as before.

If one SSRI is not working for something like depression *usually* a switch does not help.

However, you are talking about panic.

Sertraline can be quite stimulating for some which does not help. Whilst these drugs usually kick in within 6 weeks at the most (perhaps fluoxetine (Prozac) is the only one that would take longer), the anti anxiety properties should and *usually* do kick in first.

Whilst some people are bothered with nasty "discontinuation syndrome" with paroxetine, it is a good one for anxiety disorders IMO. It is the most potent SSRI (though this does not mean better) and tends to sedate which would be beneficial for anxiety cases.

Read up on the drug (Paxil/Seroxat in the US and UK respectively), and come to an educated decision with your Doctor. You guys must work as a team here.

Of course other SSRI's may well help as well, it is just that IMO based on reading much anecdotal evidence that paroxetine is the top dog for anxiety/panic.

It may make things worse in the first couple of weeks (as you will find if you read up on these drugs), but this is fairly common.

Many hate paroxetine (because of the withdrawal), but everyone is different. The choice is yours in the end.

I had no trouble whatsoever from it.

Only once Anti-depressants or even miscellaneous options are satisfied would I consider benzo's.

Benzo's can be and are effective if used properly, but the tolerance issues are just too much for some to handle.

Ideally, you can find a medication be it an SSRI AD or something like Busper (bit of a hit and miss with that), allow it to calm you, and then work on the underlying issues.

Masking a problem is necessary much of the time, but it is great to solve it.

I am 44 and suffered from Panic attacks and generalized Anxiety Disorder from the age of 5 until I was 35 - The doctors tried me on many different medications (Zoloft, Paxil) those did not work. I was on xanax for about 2 years and it helped in the begining but then I started having break through withdrawls making the symptoms worse. Finally at 35 one doctor started me on Prozac. I was very sensative to the SSRI's so I started with a liquid dose of 5 mg. for 1 week and then increased it to 10 mgs. About the 3rd week I realized I had not had a panic attack in days - previously it was multiple attacks daily. I was driving with no problem and kind of became a shop aholic - I guess because for the first time in my life I could do it without any discomfort or symptoms. I am now on 20 mgs and have been completely symptom free for 9 years ( except for the time I quit taking the Prozac for about 3 weeks due to weight gain ) 3 weeks off of it, I was driving down the road and had a Panic Attack hit and after going a couple years with out them - I realized just how horrible and dibilitating they were. I restarted my Prozac instantly and have never stopped taking it again. I know they have come out with many new medications for panic and anxiety disorder but I have not known anyone who has had good results and most people seem to have some nasty side effects.... I had weight gain after prozac but I sleep great, am totally symptom free! I know I will have to take the Prozac for the rest of my life but without it, I truly was not able to live a life.

Everyone with Panic attacks should at least give it a try.

Tammy

I suffer from panic attacks as well. I could not even drive my car without having to pull over untill it was gone. Then I would turn around and go back home in fear of having another one. I have left my grocery cart full and walked out of the store because of an attack. I was put on Luvox 100mg. I take them at night because they make me sleepy. I have been on this same med for three yrs. I do not sufer from attacks anymore. I feel so free. Hope this helps!

I HAVE AN ENDOGENOUS PANUIC DISORDER WITH AGORAPHOBIA, AND ZOLOFT DIDN'T HELP AT ALL!!!!IN FACT, IT MADE ME WORSE, JUST AS SERIZONE AND SINEQUAN DID. I'VE TAKEN NARDIL AND XANAX FOR 24 YEARS AND AM FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!