I have always done an insane amount of sport-specific (rowing) training, but recently branched away from that and into running on its own.

I generally run about 5 times a week, 3 of these will be short 30-40 minute runs (I'm not fast, and I run up a lot of pretty steep hills, so this is usually 3.5 miles to 5 miles), one will be about 50 minutes (normally about 6.5 miles) and one long run where I just go for as long as I can (so far up to 80 minutes and 9 miles).

One of my knees has started to hurt towards the end of long runs - not a shoe problem as I have a very good pair of running shoes. I have in the past torn a tendon and a whole load of muscles in the other knee, so know its not that. It almost feels like its twisting...

any ideas?!

knee tracking? loose muscles. maybe a brace but it might be better off being seen by a sports Doctor

Can you describe the knee pain? Twisting how?

hard to describe... it starts around the inside back of the knee then moves down and around to underneath the knee joint at the front - I guess thats why it feels like its twisting. Last time I went to the sports therapist, he was mystified! May be worth seeing a different one I guess!

You might be 'compensating' for a prob that does still exsist on the other side though. And since it's happening at the end of long runs only, it could well be your 'good' knee is getting fatigued at that point from the repetitive nature of any slight compensation you might do from an unnatural gait.
I'd visit someone (i had a running-buddy physical therapist do it for me) that can give you a professional gait analysis and see whether or not you are favoring one side or the other, or some other tweaky thing in your stride.

makes sense, sounds like a plan. thanks!