:-( i had my hip resurfaced 7 years ago and had constant pain in my groin after for the 7 years i recently had the same hip replaced and the pain in my groin is still there ,the pain is so bad i cannot lift my leg without lifting it with my hands i am unable ot lift it just using my muscles without terrific pain has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the cause

i had my hip replaced 14th dec 2007. age 58 male.. lot swelling in thigh for 3weeks , lot trouble moving leg .. did lots exercising, never got any better..unable to lift leg without help.. pain in groin is bad when trying lift leg. same afta squatting . pain at hip travels down to knee.. i would also like some ansews ...

I am having the same problem with the right groin after hp replacement in 2002 , having physical therapy for 6 years it hasnt worked for me cannot lift my leg no strength and unbearable pain,wish I could get an answer olease respond maybe we can hep others

angie49 wrote:

Hi, I just recently had hip surgery november 2011 and have the exact same problem you have, not only can I not lift my leg with out the help of my hand, I cant lift my leg while laying flat on my back. Pain in groin is awful. Still on vicodine, not wanting to be, but does help only after laying down for hours at at ime...Please email me with any solutions to your issues.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks, Mary

I got almost the same problem. The diference is that I didn't do too much exercise due to the very bad pain in my inner tigh and my groin. Anybody can tell me what could be happening?
Much apreciatted

Yes I have the same pain my hip was done 4 years ago I went and had a steriod injection but it did not work

Iliopsoas tendonitis may be to blame. We are loooking into this as we speak. You are not the only one and this is a problem that occurs with more patiens and all the info I have gathered implies that iliopsoas tendon release gives relief in 90% of patients, and it can be diagnosed with arthoscopy. We are psyched this may be what is causing my husband's chronic pain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2807018/

http://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf2/rehab_hip_arthroscopy.pdf

did you get any answer as i am having the same problems

hi i am having pain 2 yrs after a right hip replacement i get pain in my grion right side pain in my top of leg when i sneeze  my leg feels heavy and spasms all the time muscle feels very hard in the thigh  pain in buttock and lower back  pain from the top of right leg down to behind my shin  i had a car accident in 2005 which caused the above but i was hoping replacment would have helped was good up to about 5 mths after op but then things started getting worst at first was like a dead leg feeling but was told that it would pass  any help would be great

I had athr in dec 2012, groin pain depressing. Still using cane. Thigh pain like charlie horse.surgeon straight up said he was done with me.pt was jerk off pervert.

I will be having my hip replaced in about 2 months. I have horrible pain as you described in my right groin. The doctor showed me the MRI and also the XRAY. I have Avascular Necrosis that has basically killed some of my bone. He saw arthritis in the XRAY. Maybe your pain is Arthritis? You can have your doctor XRAY it.

I'm sorry if you've already received answers. I'm brand new to this site, and I'm still trying to figure it out. I wish you the best.

Did your doctor recently XRAY it to see if there is any arthritis?

my hip replacement was 4 years ago, and since then I have had recurring pain requiring me to use a cane now and then. When I went to doctors I was told the xrays showed nothing, This past week I woke up with no movement of my leg in the bed. When I finally got on my feet I could not put any weight on my left leg at all. Struggled with a cane and went to the hospital. The doctors ordered xrays that of course showed nothing, then an mri, bone scan, altra sound, c-scan and now he wants to do another mri to look for pinched nervers in my back. I still believe it is related to the hip replacement, the pain is the same as it was after the replacement surgery 4 yrs. ago. I have been released for therapy, but how can that help when there was no none cause or treatment.? Don't know what to do next.

I have the same problem. My hip replacement was 14 months ago. I am considering a surgery for release of the illeo tendon. it crosses over the head of the hip joint and into the thigh. I have done months of physical therapy, swimming, cycling and still no relief from the pain, nor can I lift the leg without the aid of my hands.

I have had an MRI, cat scan, bone scan, 2 ultra sounds and 2 cortisone shots all within 2 months. Nothing shows anything definitely wrong with "the device". Yet, i continue to have pain in my groin and down my leg. I cannot lift the leg to get in or out of a car, into bed, it hurts while walking upstairs. I cannot even put my clothes on without the use of my hands to lift my leg. I have done months of physical therapy, 3 months of water therapy, swimming, cycling, and weight lifting. Nothing has helped. My next step is to consider a surgery to release the tendon that crosses over the head of the hip joint- the illeo tendon. My doctor beleives this will work. Look it up. It might help you as well.

I had my hip replacement 8weeks ago and the pain in my groin has got worse, like you I cannot raise my leg without extreme pain. I cannot get into a car. I do hope something can be done when I see the consultant in 3 weeks time.