On the inside, upper portion of my left knee cap, there's a very localized pain. It seems to be on the side/front of the knee cap moreso than on the back.

It started late last week and got worse after a 15 mi. LSD run on Saturday. I ran 5 miles yesterday and I think that made it a little worse.

Ibuprofen seems to keep the pain at bay.

Any ideas on what this might be?

Take glucosamine & condroitin, wear the chopat braces, SEE A DOCTOR! Seriously, knee problems are not something you want to get worse! Trust me...I've had plenty of experience in this category! :(

:1: an ortho told me i had runner's knee and it was due to slight wear and tear in the cartiledge which showed on an x-ray. i believe my knee problems come from a hip muscle imbalance. do you take glucosamine? syn-flex is a good one.
Good point Sue. My knee issues have all but disappeared after my PT told me that the imbalance in the quad/hamstring muscles cause much of runners knee issues too. I started doing the leg extension machine on a regular basis about a year ago and have had no knee issues ever since. I took glucosamine for years with no results or help and switched last summer to Fluid Joint after jrjo told me about it. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I thought runners knee was on the outside of the knee. When I was diagnosed with it, the pain went from the bottom of the knee cap, around the outside and up the outside of the leg a little bit. And I'm beginning to think that runners knee is the prognosis for way too much stuff.
You described both runners knee and IT syndrome.