I've seen several runners wearing something that just looks like an elastic band around their knee. What are those for?

They come in different colors and different brands. Yeah, some are elastic band color, but do the same as this Pro-Tec one. And what they do is combat Runner's-Knee. Your kneecap tracks up and down as you run and if there is wear and tear inside your knee, it can start to "get out of it's groove" literally. What these straps do is put a slight pressure on the ligament just below the kneecap to pull it into alignment as you run, keeping it on a straight track so to speak.

I wore a pair for a couple months, two years back when my knees started to ache out on me during a marathon mileage buildup and for the marathon itself. Amazingly, without them I was aching, but with them I could still run just fine. And after those couple months running with them, I was fully healed.. they did the trick.

Yes, those. Thanks, jrjo!

By the way...it really, really hurts to have your kneecap out of its groove.

:1:
Those really help. I have a couple that I carry with me to all my major races. I'll wear them down underneath my sock band until I need one. They have saved me several times.

They can be usefull in getting an injured runner through a bad patch however, they are treating the symptom not the cause and do nothing what so ever to cure the problem. Generally speaking if your knee cap is not tracking properly it is due imbalance in the quadriceps group. The weak "quad" not only loses power but proprioception has to be re-trained.
Restoring the balance through streching, specific exercise and in some cases weights attack the cause.

Yeah... you're probably right. During that knee flare up, I spent considerably more time cross-training on the indoor rower which is a great for the quads. I "re-balanced" myself without even intending to :o