Hello everyone,
I am new to running again as I use to run 5k's err.. 9 years ago before life, job's, wife, ex-wife all that good stuff caught up with me. My question is since im starting back to run ive been sticking with a fairly easy mile run 3 days a week because i didnt want to push the issue and possibly get hurt as I have had knee problems in the past. I was running in a 5k and found myself caught up in a group of about 20+ runners when a kid running beside me got tangled up and fell onto me causing me to hit the pavement pretty hard. i ended up in the emergency room with 7 stitches to me left knee. Now the weird part... since starting back running i figured my left knee would give me problem's and have found that my RIGHT knee is the one bothering me?? it only happens at the start of a run and it usually last about 10 to 20 steps into the run. I stretch 10-15 minutes before hand and then walk a good half a mile to loosen up before i take the first step in the run. I would generally disregard the problem but it is quite painful when i first start the run and then it just die's off and does not hurt or act sore during or after the run? are there any kind of stretches i could use to loosen my knee up? or will more miles per week eventually ease the knee pain off? Overall i feel healthy and comfortable in the run but this knee pain at the start of the run has me wondering if i am doing something wrong. Thanks for all your advise in advance.
chris

although you didn't say "where" the pain is on the knee, alot of knee tension comes from overtight quadriceps. try massaging the quads, rolling them out, before you stretch and after your run.

:wavey:

hello and thanks for the reply. I should have been more pacific about the pain, it feel's like it is on the inside part of my knee where the knee cap has a slight movement. The pain is a sharp jabbing feeling that radiates towards my calf and up my quad. It only last a few seconds ( 10 to 20 steps into the run) and then it feels good during and after the run. I was more concerned with lasting effects if i ignored it. should i try more quad stretches to see how that works?