hi, i see there are a couple other knee threads, sorry to start another one here. i have been marathon training for about three months so far. i have been doing running almost exclusively. everything was great, i was feeling confident, and then once i got up to about 40+ miles a week i began to have probelms with my knees, the left specifically.

the problem seems to be around my kneecap, on the inner part of my leg/knee. if i slow down to a walk, there is no pain. if i walk with a bit of an incline, say 3%, it feels even better. as soon as i start jogging again, incline or flat, the pain returns. there's popping and such when i sit on a chair and extend it. i stopped running for five days, instead i did did stationary bike and leg presses/squats. then i took two days off, no exercise at all. then the next day i started running again, and bang, as soon as i hit about 2.5 miles my left knee began acting up. i finished the rest of the session off on the stationary bike, and now i am really worried and stressed out.

am i screwed? or should i be giving it more rest before i begin running again? if so how long? are there some special stretches i should be doing? are there other exercises that can be done to help the quads or knee?

How much do you weight?

What type of shoes do you have?

How old are the shoes?

How many miles are on the shoes?

i am 5'11" 195 lbs (down from 210 lbs when i started training)

my shoe is the nike acg. forget with one specifically, but it is very light and comfortable.

i've only had them since mid-february, was doing about 30 miles a week then, am up to 40+ now... so they have about 400 miles(?) on them now.

Im not trying to push a new shoe on you, but it sounds like your shoes are coming to the end of their lifespan.

New Balance Shoes are rated for 500 miles.

What does that mean? The cushioning in shoes has a compression set. That means the cushioning is supposed to reform after each use to its original properties, and form.

After 500 miles the cushioning looses its ability to reform, and provide the same amount of cushioning as they did when they were brand new.

In my experience Nike ususally feels better than most in the beginning, but looses its cushioning a bit sooner than other brands.

If your shoes are a light weight running shoe (lighter than avg.) then the cushioning will depleat even faster.

For example if the shoe has a blown rubber outsole instead of a solid rubber outsole, than the shoe will be lighter, but wont last as long.

The first thing that happens when the shoes go bad is that your feet, knees, or back starts to hurt.

In my opinion there is no good reason that your knees should hurt after you gave them a 5 day rest unless you have torn something, but if you have torn something wouldnt it hurt constantly, and not specifically when you run.

I would recomment Asics, New Balance or Saucony.

As you figured I sell New Balance only, and my website is www.nbannapolis.com

awww shucks, new shoes every three months? dang! marathon training is expensive!

4 pair in a year is a 'light' year 8)

not to mention you need to spend about 70$ retail in order to get into something nice.

Your running a good bit.

Look at it as a "reward" for your hard work. I hate shopping for shoes but I always always loved running shoe shopping.
You wouldn't ride on worn tires would you? Your bod is worth so much more--and with all the work you're putting into it, a little treat now and then isn't so bad.

New shoes are cheaper than health care bills because of poor health.

thanks everyone.

well here's the update. i took four weeks off of runing. been doing 3 days of eliptical machine, 2 days stationary bike, and 2 days off. today i got back on the treadmill and as soon as i hit about 1.5 miles my knee started hurting. bad. i was even wearing a patt-strap. i think i'm pretty much screwed and i won't be running g-ma's marathon in june. i am so severly depressed right now i can't even put it into words.

This may be in need of XRAYS. No reason it should hurt unless something is really wrong IMO.

Have you been for x-rays?
That was my first step, from there I went looking for insoles and a better shoe. Now, I can run with little or no pain.
I ran a 15.2 mile run in Septemeber of last year, ended with severe knee pain on the outside of my left knee. took time off, tried again and failed, thats when I went for x-rays. Nothing. So i tried insoles... I was able to finish my Marathon in December. Although, due to my lack of training between Sept and Dec. I had to walk a good portion of the marathon, but still finished.
I suggest you see your doctor and go for xrays...
and see what happens from there...IMO

i agree. get the xray to maybe rule out a tear or other injury.
if xrays are normal, it may be the shoes but it could also be tight quadricep muscles, when they are full of knots, you can experience knee pain as you describe.
i have been sidelined since Christmas with lateral knee pain and finally gotten to the bottom of it being very tight glute muscles which are actually pulling on tendons around the (outside) of my knee. i have also worked out tight hamstrings, tight tfl and the piriformis....all of them will affect my knee which has always shown "normal" on xrays and MRIs.
rule out injury then go from there. it may be a simple matter of adding some massage and stretching to your running.

saw a doctor. surgery will not be needed. looks to be a misalignment issue with my kneecap. and if my knee is not better in time for the marathon, i will have my knee kinesio taped.