Why are "yawns" contagious?

::YAWN::

Why are "yawns" contagious? ::YAWN::
because :|

Why are "yawns" contagious? ::YAWN::
I don't know but stop it! I was already tired and you are just making it worse! YAWN

No idea but I haven't stopped yawning since I read this post :duh: .

I think yawning is caused by a subconscious reflex somewhat related to the amount of oxygen, and when you see someone yawn, it reminds you to check your own level of oxygen by yawning.

I pulled that one from 'you know where'...

yawns are the result of a high concentration of carbon dioxide (which is built up in the lungs when you are tired, hence the yawn), and so if a room has high CO2 concentration, a lot of people will start yawning, and it will appear that it is contagious....or not - i'm guessing here

where are our science experts when you need them???

i missed the question professor

i yawned could you repeat it

Can anyone answer this question?
the question can be answered, and has been. Did you want it answered correctly?

Can anyone answer this question?
the question can be answered, and has been. Did you want it answered correctly? :LOL: !

I would guess that it is a psychosomatic reaction.

Because yawning is a response to shortage of oxygen, the sight of someone else yawning might trigger, by way of association, an automatic shift of attention to the present state of oxygen (surely too brief to be consciously available in most circumstances).

A system that is exogenous to the breathing module might have no idea about the level of oxygen that requires correction by inhaling or exhaling. Thus, attention to the state of oxygen may lead the perceiver himself to yawn, which might hamper the balance between oxygen and CO2.

Just a thought anyway.

it does not work with kids though - i could see a room full of children yawning and it would have no effect on me - i witness one adult yawn and i'm history

Clearly, you are still harboring unresolved issues from your childhood. Thus causing your subconscious to ignore the actions of people that fit the general description of yourself during that time period. I believe that if you can resurface those lost feelings, you will be able to elucidate the true origin of the crisis. Only then will both children and adults cause a psychosomatic reaction that causes you to yawn.

so you're saying i have issues eh??

so you're saying i have issues eh??
Do you like pizza?

Do you like pizza?
w/ peppers and onions?? you buying??