Hi, I am 26 years old male and I am exercising body building for several months. Also I am smoker and I know people would tell that these two things can't go together. I would like to hear why I can't smoke after exercise. Is it so bad or it is just trick to make me quit smoking?

Hi, it is not some trick and I may tell you that smoking after exercising is even worse that usual smoking. When you finish your exercising your lungs are working faster, you are breathing faster. Also your heart is pumping faster and you are just involving your organism more to the carbon dioxide.

In 2004, I was 15 and a half stone. I drank like a fish and smoke 15 fags a day. In 2005, I decided to do something about my lifestyle. I quit drinking (3 binges a week) ate better and took up cycling.
People laughed when they saw me (Fatty) on a bike. But I kept at it. Two mile rides became 10, then 15, then 20, then 25, THEN up to 60 in a day sometimes.
In 2005, I cycled on and off road a total of 2000 miles. In 2006 - 3,000 miles. In 2007, I clocked up the same.
I am now 12 stone 4 pounds, and no-one is laughing at me now. I was 47 when I started pedalling.
But in all that time, I never gave up the fags. In fact, I still stop for one - before I need a rest. I suffer no breathing problems, and very few muscle aches. My blood pressure is excellent - though I admit I take a 10 mm tablet every day to control it (from 2004).
Also during that time, I was aware that my kidney function was diminishing at roughly 3% a year - polycystic disease.
I don't really know what I'm trying to say here. Well, I suppose I'm hinting at.... what harm have the fags done to me. I am fitter now than I was when I was 25.
I still cycle every second day - minimum 10 miles, and I still suffer no ailments whatsoever - thank the Lord. At the moment my kidney function is around the 25% mark, and yet I can still clock up to 80 miles a week.
Am I a mystery - or what

You are right harmon....smoking after exercising is not better

The real truth is that smoking is NOT part of a healthy lifestyle and will only stand in the way of you becoming more healthy and getting in shape.

Smoking after a workout isn't going to kill you but will 100% not help you. I'ts your call from there.

how about smoking before working out?

Your muscles need oxygen to be healthy. Smoking fills your bloodstream with c02, which is bad for your muscles. During a workout, you break your muscles down and are put to the stressing point. If your muscles aren't getting the proper oxygen they need at this crucial point, you will not see maximum results and the muscle will not repair itself fully.

Im 16...go to school in India....i like my smokes everyday.....but im also a shooter for the state and i love being toned and fit.
Im just a lil out of shape now.....not been excersicing for a year.....i wanna get back in shape...but continue smoking....i smoke just a lil more than 5 cigs a day...i heard thats not bad....will my smoking affect my fitness that much? and is it ok to smoke after excersicing?...if so...please tell me when is the best time to smoke..thankyou...it will be grealty aprreciated.

I need help...i like my smokes everyday...im 16....and i like to keep a very fit body and toned figure.....ive been out of shape a little while...will smoking affect my fitness?....i smoke around 5-7 cigs a day...i heard thats not very bad...
but i want muscle growth etc.......HOW LONG AFTER EXCERSICE CAN I SMOKE WITHOUT IT BEING BAD??...
please help me...thankyou

I've been smoking for 13 years. I'm actually using exercise to quit. When I have a craving, I'll do some pushups or situps. When I'm not at home, I'll take a short walk. This is on top of my daily gym routine (weights and half an hour of cardio).

Smoking is not beneficial in any way. It only gets in the way of maximizing your health... just think about it. Tar in the lungs, CO2 in the blood, hardened arteries, etc... the list goes on. Just because you look fit doesn't mean that you're healthy on the inside.

See i like being tough!...i am tough!...but i like cigarettes....lets face it...im probably addicted...but i dont over do it....all i want to noe is if i can still stay strong....with a good amount of stamina....

Well the main problem smoking after exercises is that your chest works with full capacity and you breath clean air inside you. So smoking will make inhaled smoke to go all through your lungs which is not really good. So I think you should wait two or three hours until you smoke.

Fact one... Smoking is always bad. though there are certain times when you smoke, it's damage is huge... very huge. After exercise, there is a window period of say like one hour when our body produces some enzymes and body's immune system kind of shut.... pron to infection. Those who smoke right after exercise.... and if your immune system is not so strong... be sure you may caught in some lungs infections orland up feeling acute chest pain.

Instead of thinking about smoking after exercise... which I is natural, because of increased blood flow... growth in muscle and feeling confident. But my friend you take the message of the body very wrong. Body says, get me some simple carbohydrate and easily absorb-able protein. Digestion goes for toss right after exercise... regular food is complex carbs and proetines; they take time to absorb..... so what body does it start breaking muscles and start consuming produced acids/glucose in muscle for instant energy...... To prevent it... during exercise and after, consume drinks like gatorade which is very good. and within half/one hour after exercise in take some protein supplement if you can (natural food are also there to provide simple protenis.... find your self or consult a physican)

quitting smoking is not easy. It's like a bull fight.... if you promise yourself that you won't smoke again... :-) very soon you will break the promise. instead of quitting out of frustration... follow wise path of excuse yourself not to smoke. As I said. right after exercise... don't think that you are not supposed to smoke.... better you think... how to fullfill the need of body right after the exercise. thought about smoke would automatically diminish... and you can acheive ai good body over a period fo time.

you can smoke when you find yourself badly desperate ... that's ok. But make sure and put effort to negotiate the post affect of smoking ... like, take strong coffee (if you are not allergic to caffeine) immediately after smoking. make sure you don't do physically intense work after/before 1 and 1/2 hours of smoking.

** affect of smoking are gradual ..... and human tendency is to ignore the gradual degradations... don't do that. They make you pay beyond the imagination. If smoking.... make sure it's affects are minimum.

I posted the above....

People! Why do you keep mentioning carbon dioxide? You're constantly breathing this, And when you exhale as much as 4% of that air is carbon dioxide. Besides CO2 isn't really harmful to the body (wouldn't make any sense either since were constantly making this)... The dangerous thing is carbon mono-oxide. Cigarettes usually contain around 10mg of this very harmful gas. The problem with carbon mono-oxide is that your red blood cells are more prone to absorbing this than pure oxygen. And if your blood doesn't supply your muscles with oxygen, your muscle cells will die. And needless to say, the more dead muscle cells, the smaller muscles ;-)
Now, normally your muscles can survive without oxygen a little while, but right after an exercise your muscles really need a lot of oxygen to rebuild, and if that oxygen isn't present, you won't build more muscle and the muscle you already have will die. So don't smoke right after exercise if you want to get anything out of it...
Besides, even without the carbon mono-oxide you absorb much less oxygen while smoking and tissue death can occur...
And if you smoke right before you exercise the nicotine in your smoke will prevent your muscles from working their max because your body's too busy getting rid of the poison... Much like alcohol ;-)