My ears never really gave me problems as a kid, other than a slight pressure and a few severe ear infections. As I got into my teenage years (maybe around 14), I began to notice that I could hear the little noises that most people don't even think about, because they're everyday life kind of noises. I'm talking about things like- the way people chew and swallow food, the sound of someone's lips coming together and pulling apart or the inner cheek swishing against the gum, and even something as perfectly normal as breathing. It would drive me insane, and nobody in my family could understand why I would suddenly fly up off the couch, away from a table, or completely out of a room for something they didn't hear. I thought I was crazy, and the doctor couldn't tell me what the problem was. I would "just have to grow out of it." Then, around 18, I began to feel the pressure in my ears getting noticably greater. It led quickly to what I am now living with. I have a constant feeling of "airplane ear", and with the slightest movement of my tongue, tensing of my neck muscles, or moving my jaw causes my ears to "pop." The Ear, Nose, & Throat specialists I've seen have said that there is no visible problem, and one even went as far as all but calling me crazy. When I moved the Shreveport, I went another ENT after my husband realized if things were quiet and his ear was close enough to mine, he could actually hear me *pop, pop, pop* by slightly moving my tongue or tensing my neck. He freaked! There was a look on his face that was a mixture of, "Oh my gosh! That's really cool and weird, and at the same time." and "Ewwww!" So, he called and set up the appointment himself for the next day. The result- a hearing test that concluded I have a larger range of hearing than most people. The doctor said that the pressure had to be from alot of build-up in the ear canal, but when he took a look he got almost irritated with me and told me that I shouldn't clean my ears so much. They were too clean! When I told him that I very, very rarely ran a q-tip over my ear, he just looked at me like, "You're an id**t! I'm literally looking at the ear canal, seeing how "way too clean" they are, and you want to look me in the face and tell me you don't clean your ears!" I just looked right back at him, not letting up. He looked at my husband, and my husband backed me up. The doctor said I was just a little sensitive to sound (I'm a singer and my husband plays in instrument you put in his hands, so we both love to turn up our music and movies.), and that he saw no reason why my ears would pop dozens of times in a minute. I was very frustrated and when I walked out, I told my husband that it looked like I would be living with this. So, I have been. I'm 25 now, it's been close to 4 yrs. since that unproductive doctor's appointment, and I have had no relief. I've stopped even mentioning it, except for when the pressure gets so great that I have sharp pains in my ears, because it does me no good. My husband still hears it when he leans over ear-to-ear. I've looked all over the internet, with no results other than seeing tons about ringing ears. I have noted (and I'd already been aware and careful of this for a long time) that it is really common for singers and musicians slowly lose their hearing. Mine is completely opposite that, though. Can anyone help me??? This is really irritating, even after learning to not focus on it constantly and just living with it. Thanks guys!

Hi. So funny to read this I have exactly the same problem as you. I dirve my husband crazy. I cannot stand certain sounds, and people have a hard time believing the things I can hear. Now for three months my ears pop nonstop and I'm having episodes of dizziness. Never became a musician but w/o question have musical talent as I also hallucinate music at times, and something in my brain is always writing and singing songs, including incredibly elaborate symphonies Ive never heard before. I've read a lot about musicians and the different threshold at which you take in sounds is different from other people. Not sure what the popping is about. It drives me crazy. Eustacian tube dysfunction, I don't know? Let me know if you find anything else out. Im going to see an ENT soon. -Jenn

hey thanx this really help me find out what was wrong with my ears

I have the exact same problem and I have had it all my life. I was diagnosed at 14 with Tinnitus and Hyperacuosi which means I have a measured hearing loss and ringing in the ears on the Tinnitus side but an oversensitivity to sound at the same time. Its frustrating to explain how I cant hear a simple conversation but the movie playing is way too loud. Friends turn things up for me cause I have a hearing problem and assume if I cant hear them speak clearly then I need the music in the car up, but sound is to intensified for me and it stresses me out and is amplified. I can also hear someone chew or swallow and breathing drives me insane. I can even hear the filaments in a light bulb sometimes but other times I cant hear you call my name. My ears constantly pop with swallowing, yawning, neck movement and so on every few seconds and I get pressure and ear pain as well. Perhaps you dont have Tinnitus (the hearing loss ringing in ears side) but you might have Hyperacousis (oversensitivity to sound). I hoped this helps you.

i know how you feel my ear started poping when i was 12 years old and it is constantly poping.I always think that people can hear my ear poping when i eat or other stuffs.I always walk away when i hear my ear poping cause its so loud...everytime i am in church or school i ask people can u hear that poping sound and they say no only you can hear it.But you know i feel so shame to go out with people to go eat cause of this. But here is my question to you..do u know how long this last and how could this go away cause i am so shame and i dont want to grow up like this:(

ps.i am in high school now and i dont want people to tease me if they can hear:'(

The funny thing is til this month I have never heard the popping sounds. For the last few months I have had sharp pain the can bring me to my knees and the dizzy spells but because I'm one of the many with out health care there's noting I can really do. Doctors look at the chart and tell me theres nothing wrong with me and send me on my way. The pain and the popping is to much to bear...!

I have been experiencing this constant ear popping for about 2.5 months now, it is maddening at times.... I have seen my GP 2x, the ENT 3x and have been to an acupuncturist 3x... The ENT prescribed hydrocortosone ear drops whch give some temporary relief, I am also taking advil and sudofed every 4 hours. I tend to wonder if there may not be some psychological implications causing the symptoms to exacerbate themselves.. The problem seems to be worst in the AM when I wake up, sinuses tend to fill while sleeping, especially if horizontal. If anyone has found a solution to this I want to hear about it.... Thanks!!!!

I have the same problem!

you might think this is crazy but u might want to see a chiropractor that specializes in the "atlas". its the top bone of the vertabrae. I had several of these problems until it intensified and i had to go to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Since seeing the specialist my hearing has gone back to normal and I am not dizzy anymore. Make sure you see a specialist though (Blair or NUCCA technique). You will have to have an x-ray and then they can put the bone back.

Specifically who are you replying to?  Exactly what symptoms did you have? I am willing to give most anything a try, but I'd like to know a bit more about why you are giving the particular recommendation?

I have had this same issue for the last 5+ years, Pop, Pop, Pop on the right side, over and over again. Sometimes by itself, some times pressure builds and I have to help it by moving my jaw a bit.  It pops several times per minute. It is worse when I feel sinus pressure but never goes away. I went to several doctors but none could figure it out. 

Once on an airplane I felt like my eardrum was going to explode. I have just been dealing with it and some times people see me move my jaw to pop my ear and think I have a nervous tick. 

Wish I knew more, its nice to know some other people have this issue.

I have the exact same problem!!!!!!

I have the same problem too. Ears constantly pop except when i go to higher elevation. But normal everyday hurts and is embarrassing to constantly sniff jn the relieve it. I have been to Ent and they want to put tubes in my ears. I've had this problem for over 15 years. I need help before serious damage occurs to my ears.

Oh my, I've had this for the past 10 months.  Constant popping, about 17 times per minute!  Lots of combinations or anti reflux, antibodics and allergy medications.  I am getting ready to fly in the next couple months and I've had horrible ear pain before while flying (can't remember I may have had a cold).  Now that I have this new problem, I am extremely scared to fly.  I saw one ENT and he said he thought it was related to reflux.  Well, I've been taking reflux meds now for about 8 months and still no relief.  I plan to see another ENT in the next few weeks.  Would getting tubes put in help this problem?  Any one tried that?

I have had the same problem since I was 11 and I'm 16 now everyone thinks I'm crazy because I'll hear somthing and no one else will and the pressure in my ears leads up to a shard pain all the time I honestly though I was the only person with this problem and all the doctors say I'm fine. I would apreciate it so much if someone can help me with this.