I always have yawning attack before an asthma attack. Maybe it is good because I’m able to recognize the beginning of the attack and to take my rescue remedy. So, I yawn even not tired or sleepy at all. I can not figure how yawning can be connected with asthmatic reaction? Anyone else yawn like me?

Of course, as I know many asthmatics have yawning ‘attack’ before asthma attack. Yawning occurs due to a lack of oxygen, and our body has that mechanism for compensation. When that starts happening to me, I begin breathing slowly, take 10 deep breaths while sitting and try to re up amount of oxygen that my body needs. It sometimes helps and if not I also take my rescue remedy. It is all about oxygen and airways that start getting swollen, I guess.

Hello there criddle,

I have the same situation in my case. And as Hubert has kindly explained it is happening due lack of oxygen. I am trying the thing with breathing but in most cases this doesn’t work for me unfortunately. But like both of you have said, this is a great way to recognize when the attack is going to start so if you don’t have your inhalator near you, you have time to get it before it becomes really nasty.

Also I have noticed that I yawn even more when the weather is getting worse. Of course during this period I am having additional trouble with my asthma. Do you have the same troubles as well?

I do. When the weather changes, my asthma gets even worst. Have you ever waken up in the middle of the night with you throat tighten up to where your inhaler doesn't work? I don't know too many people with asthma and I'm not sure if this is common.

you likely have night time reflux--get it treated.. throat closing is actualy laryngospasm

No. I havent heard anything  asthma attack related to yawn. This is first time i heard something like it.

I have had mild asthma for a few years. Use Flovent daily and albuterol when needed (which is almost never.)I have been puzzled by periods of repeated yawning now and again. This has happened 3 times in the past 10 days. It occurred  to me that it might be asthma. I use my inhaler and the yawning stops. The fall is the worst time for my asthma.I am relieved to hear that I am not crazy!

Guys, as someone who suffers from both Asthma and GERD, I will tell you know that I know this to be one of the most scary things for us to experience... That being said, the other guest before me is correct in that this is likely laryngospasm, in turn it's most likely cause being stress (as we asthmatics and GERD tend to be more stressed than the average person). Get to a Gastroenterologist‎ or an Otolaryngologist as soon as possible if you are still experiencing these symptoms.