There was a case in my husband’s family of Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome. I have a four year old son and I am worried that he might inherit the disease. I’m not sure what are the symptoms and when is the right time to take him for checking. I heard that syndrome is congenital. What are the most common signs for this syndrome?

When tachycardia, or fast heart rates, occurs due to the presence of an accessory bypass tract, which is basically an unregulated detour through which impulses from the upper chamber of the heart, can travel to a lower chambers, is called Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome (W.P.W). It is named after three doctors who first described it. It is hereditary condition and it can not be diagnosed until adolescence but the cause is present at birth. WPW is a congenital condition and the diagnosis is made with EKG. Many people live without symptoms but others commonly develop tachycardia. Most patients with the syndrome can lead normal lives with no restrictions on their activities.

I have WPW and basically, what happened when I got it is I started complaining of chest pain. I went to the doctors, they hooked me up to an EKG machine, and sent me to a cardiologist. He told me that I had an accessory bypass tract, (another electrical current in my heart that shouldn't be there) and he could remove it by doing a catheter ablation. The process sounds weird, but it's actually practiced by a lot of physicians. If you're really worried about this disease, please contact a cardiologist. My cardiologist said it wasn't dangerous unless there were certain circumstances, but I'm sure the doctor can explain that to you. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or contact me on yahoo messenger.

My son was diagnosed with WPW when he was 16.(17 years ago) He was running track at the time and said he couldn't breathe, His heart was beating so fast it felt like Jello. We found a Cardiologist in Phila. who could do the ablation surgery, She had said 5 years prior they were still doing open heart surgery for this condition. The procedure took 8 hrs and he hasn't had a problem since. A Doctor in our area just wanted to put him on meds which the surgeon said would make him a zombie. I don't remember the word she used. His wife is pregnant with twins and a cardiologist is going to test them since now it is considered hereditary, Back then it wasn't