Hello! My husband’s brother is diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. We are interested in what exactly is this syndrome and what causes it, and if there is a treatment. Thank you in advance!

Hi there! My child was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome at birth but it usually affects adults between ages 30 and 40. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome is a condition when the heart beats rapidly as a result of abnormal, extra electrical pathways between the heart's two upper chambers (atria) and two lower chambers (ventricles). It is still not known why this extra electrical pathways develop. Main symptoms are heart palpitations. When the patient is experiencing palpitations the heart rate is usually in excess of 150 beats per minute. When the patient has no symptoms there is nothing to find on examination. As a treatment a procedure called radio frequency catheter ablation is performed to destroy the extra electrical pathway.

She was 14 and undergoing double knee surgery when the anesthesiologist discovered an irregular (extra) heartbeat while she was anesthetized. I was given the "tape" and told to take her to a pediatric cardiologist. After a reading of the tape where the doc showed me the extra heartbeat, a 24-hr Holter monitor, and an 8-minute treadmill stress test, she was diagnosed with WPW. Fortunately for my daughter, the extra electrical beat pooped out under physical stress = her heart will not wear out faster. She rarely feels palpitations - one reason why we didn't know she had WPW....no symptoms. The doc said it was just an anomally and she will live a long life. She's now 28 with no problems.