I had tachycardia and chest palpitations last few years, and not so long ago I realized there is something wrong with me. I visited my doctor, who diagnosed me with Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome. I have heard for this first time in my life, and I do not know any person I know had the same problem. That is why I would like to hear more about it. Can you tell me how Wolf Parkinson White could be treated?

Condition called Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome refers when electrical signal arrive at the ventricles too soon. This disorder is in a category of electrical abnormalities called pre-excitation syndromes. It is recognized by certain changes on the electrocardiogram, which is a graphical record of the heart's electrical activity, I believe you know, because your doctor must have done this. The ECG will show that an extra pathway or shortcut exists from the atria to your ventricles. This syndrome causes symptoms or episodes of tachycardia, may have dizziness, chest palpitations, fainting or, rarely, cardiac arrest. Patients without symptoms, which are also common, usually do not need treatment. Your case with episodes of tachycardia can be treated with special medication. I have to tell you that sometimes such treatment does not work. The most common procedure is radiofrequency or catheter ablation. Whether a person will be treated with medication or with an ablation, procedure depends on several factors. These include the severity and frequency of your symptoms, risk for future arrhythmias and yours preference.