I was diagnosed with WPW at age 21 I am now 25 and am very worried about my condition I'm not sure weather or not I have symptoms of WPW or actual stress from work. I don't become Tachy unles I drink alot (I think it is Holiday Heart) and when I start freaking my self out it feels as though I cant catch my breath. I need some kind of reassurance. I just met with my Cardialogist last month he told me maybe next year to get an eco and a stress test performed. I recently went to the dentist to get a tooth removed and he used a local anastetic novacaine my heart rate rose to about 125bpm dont know if it was because there is epinephrine or because of WPW or just because I'm a crazy stress ball.

Please if any one has any insite on this disorder/syndrome and really what are the serious statistics of developing ventricular Fibullation

Thank you
WSG

HI my name is Stephanie and I can relate to the stories that I have read. Im 24 years old and was diagnosed with WPW when I was 16, and im not sure about getting the simple procedure done to cure this disease. I know it is a simple procedure, but I guess I have the fear of not waking up or something else go wrong. .So what my cardioligist tells me that if I dont want to have the operation done that I will have to take medication for the rest of my life. But the weird thing is that out of nowhere my heart will start beating at a very fast pace.What I have always done to get my heart back to a regular pace is breathe in deeply and release it slowly.That has worked right away until recently. Now it takes alot longer to do. So I think im going to go ahead and go for the simple operation so I can live my life without medication and being worried about this condition.:O

i was born with wpw and im 18 when i was a baby i had relfuxe with wpw and i stop breathing in teh back of my dads car and my dad had to put my bed at a 45 dagree angle just so my blood would flow right and now im fine hope that things that happend to me when i was a baby happens to me agian when i get older

Hello Everyone.. My name is Tavo and i have delt with this Disease for too long.. I was Diagnosed with it @ age 14. I am now 28 years old and my symtoms just keep getting worse and worse..
I've been on my own for 10 years now and have not had medical attention for this cinse i was 17. I just recently landed a good job with great benefits and...You Bet!! i'm definatly gonna get it fixed Any way i can!
I've ended up in the hospital several times because of this and they have been verry scary situations.. I'M THAKFUL TO BE ALIVE. I say if you suspect anything due to this, get it cheked out.. Ive collapsed on the floor un able to move or speak before (verry Scary). Passed out. Short of breath, dizzyness . extream pain in chest, Swelling of the heart type of feeling like its gonna Explode!!. Sometimes i have a friend push extra hard against my heart to get relief.. It hurts, but feels soooooo good afterward. I've also had times during episodes when I've felt like my lungs had Collapsed due to lack of Oxigen. AND YES. DRINKING AND PARTYNG WILL ENHANCE THIS!!

My problem is that I have no trace of a Worry-Wart in my body, but enough is enough!!

I have verry bad cavitys and have not seen a dentist in 10 years because they refuse to treat me unless I have Hospitalized Dentistry. (my teeth are slowly breaking off)
I have trouble breathing day & night and wake up feeling sick every morning..I have strong beleif that all this is due to this "syndrome"
I do cardio and ear healthy on a regular basis to keep my heart in a healthy state, but I'm not sure this is enough.
I've heard your Heart Scars up every time there is stress involved to the heart (an unreversable thing) thus aging your heart faster..

My advise to you would be: If you have insuranse or can afford it, Get it fixed..Procedures have changed. When I was younger the only treatment was Open heart Surgery.. Well of course you can Emagine I said No to this.. So I was Perscribed Digoxin For life. Verry Expensive. Had to stop In 98.
Nowadays I beleive they can do a simple procedure where they go up your arteries, with wires or something, and ZAP the nerves away. Sounds Good to me!!!!
Maybe I'm a rare case, but unless you want to develope Symtoms like me, I'D CERTAINLY GET ON THE BALL.
Don't want to worry you or anything. I just would hate to see people suffer like I have just because of a little doubt!
Best Of luck!!
~Tavo.

Hey everyone I just recently found out that I have WPW in Janurary 2007. I am very active and didnt want it to every get in the way, plus I didnt want to have to worry and stress myself out about something happening. I had the heart ablation Feb. 2007 and it is only March but I am currently living with no signs of WPW and that puts my mind at rest. I strongly believe that if you have WPW that you should look into the surgery!!!! Find a doctor that is recommended for the surgery even if you have to travel a little ways. I had the surgery at The University of Nebraska Medical Center and Was treated great! I was checked into the hospital at 10am and was able to leave the next day around noon! with no problems! look into it!

Good luck to all of you!
God Bless!

My 13yr old son was diagnosised with WPW a year ago. We monitored the frequency of episodes over several months, and it seemed to be getting worse. We opted for ablation surgery, which was performed just 2 days ago. He is already back to his normal self. The surgery was done at Childrens Hospital in Wisconsin by Dr. Dhala, an excellent surgeon.

Hi all:

I just wanted to post to put some peoples mind to rest. I was born with WPW, and yes it gets progressively worse as you get older. I had "episodes" all through high school, which is tough when you play sports, and in college due to lack of sleep i started to get it more frequently. When it happens it feels like your waiting for your heart to stop, and the fact that you never know if this will be "the one" to cause you to stop breathing is extreamly scary! In 2002 i was driving my son to kindergarden and out of nowhere it took off. In the car, heart racing, couldnt stop it. Drove to my parents house 5 min away and tried the usual cold water, holding your breath etc...nothing. EMTs came, and of course being young they assume youre on drugs (never have been) and eventually took me to Sunset Hospital in L.A where a doctor took me into surgery within 5 minutes of arriving. They did a surgery called cathater ablation . I would be lying to say it was a piece of cake, but honestly not as bad as i thought it would be. I am not fan of anything medical and hate pills so for me to say that is a big deal. I know this "disease" sucks, and there's so little info about what it is, but if you have questions about the surgery you can email me...i dont want to post a huge essay. Stay well-Belyn_m@yahoo.com

Hi All,

Like the last post I'd like to reassure people about WPW. I had WPW from 18years of age until I was 30. It was misdiagnosed until I was thirty: it was blamed on my asthma medication.

I had an ablation (an operation to burn the extra conductive path in my heart). This has completely cured me and I am fitter than ever. Once the operation is done it is like you have never been ill. If you have WPW get an operation done asap, you won't regret it for a second, plus it's not a major op.

PS don't let insurance companies rip you off once you're cured. In England at least they are not allowed to do this. My quote went up by 50% until I challenged them and was told it was an "optional" increase.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me at **edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed ** if you've any specific questions.

Hope this helps.

Hey all,
I know you don't know me, but this helps me.

I'm 15 years old, and, from what my doctor says, I may have WPW. About a week and half ago, I had my first episode(I was sitting infront of my computer, doing nothing), and luckily, my mom brought me to the hospital because my heart rate was over 200 and I didn't feel good. I was in the hospital for 2 hours(took so long for tests) and found out I had an SVT. So, I was like, "OKay... Nothing wrong with that...right?"

I went and saw my doctor last week and told meI may have WPW. I just didn't want surgery of any kind, but, to mysurprise, I found out my doctor had it when he was only 16. This was back in the day when the only choice was Open Heart surgery, but he found out about a hospital who did this surgery, that kills the nerves, and he's been fine after he got it when he was... I think in his 20's? It reassured me, but I've been all worried up about my heart. Every night, I fear I will die in the night and never see the next day, and I don't want that to happen.

Today, about an hour ago, I could hear my parents talking about it. They say I may never have a nother "SVT" or, I may. I don't know. Only time will tell.

I was diagnosed 2 months ago with WPW and would like more information about having it removed. I am now on flecanaide and the doctor had put me on 50 mg when I first went into hospital. Two months later the symptoms came back so the doctor had put the dose up to 100mg. I only get the symptoms every to months. It happened in June, July and then in September. There is a process called Ablation which helps the doctors remove the extra electrical pathway in our hearts. I understand what we are all going through and we would all like something done about it. I mean I am only 16 years old and want to live my life. Not live like this.

My husband had wpw and had the operation, it was quick and he has felt sooo much better since then. We went to our state teaching hospital. a long drive but the university of Michigan hospital was so cool about everything. He had his done about 10 years ago
The doctor said that only 1 in 1000 don't work, and that 1 can be fixed with a pacemaker....no meds to take afterword, no more worries. We have been very grateful.
wife5047

I am a Registered Nurse and my son was diagnosed with wpw syndrome at age 13 in 8/2007. At first he just told me he felt his heart was going to come out of his chest and that it would beat really fast while he was at school. I just chalked it up to anxiety. It then happened at home one day while he was playing basketball. I grabbed my stethascope and had a listen while he was about to pass out and his heart rate was over 260 beats a minute and with a flick of a switch it went back to normal rate. That is finally when I realized something wasn't right. The cardiologist put him on Toprol XL 50mg a day, and that made him very tired. Stimulating the vagal nerve by pretending to have the largest bowel movement you've ever had helped put him back into a normal rhythym. We opted to have the cardiac ablation done because it kept getting worse and at 13, he was having way too many side effects of the Toprol and I didn't want him being on it for the rest of his life. Dr. Wilbur at Loyola University in Chicago did this proceedure, It was pretty simple except for him not being able to move for 6 hours afterwards. It was also on the left side of the heart so he had to be on blood thinners for 30 days. But I am so thankful to God and the hands of Dr. Wilbur, he has been symptom free and I feel cured forever. Please have this done if it is at all possible. But do research on the DR. Some have more success rates than other.

my daughter has wpws she have been informed by her consultant she has to go on wating list for the operation. we have been out of our minds with worry. it gave me great pleasure in ready your review and its making us feel at ease with the problem we are dealing with

I was diagnosed in 5th grade with WPW. It was very hard to deal with at such a young age. I wasnt alowed to play with my friends at recess or anything, and I was a very active child. And I had to wait i believe about 5 to 6 months to have the operation. I am now a Senior in High School and i suggest to anyone with WPW if you are able too, GET THE Oblation. Your life will be so much easier and so much more fun. I am VERY greatful that i had it fixed at such a young age. And if you are scared, dont be. It is a quick and easy thing that doctors are able to fix. So dont worry!

I was diagnosed with WPW Syndrome at the age of 21 in 2008. I had the ablation done and it has helped alot! However i was told that my case was a difficult one and i had multiple extra pathways! My surgeon said he got all the pathways successfully except for one which apparently is on the outside of my heart! After the ablation i did have symptoms but they dissapeared once i increased my medication! Since then i have develped an anxiety problem and often have a strong heart beat that now occurs up to 5 - 10 times a day!

Does anyone know why this happens?