My mother is diagnosed with wpw few months ago. His doctor told me it is clearly, what her problem is, but he did not tell me anything about his disease. Can you tell me could it be wpw, if I have noticed only palpitations sometimes? She does not have hard heart problems as some people, so I wonder if he maybe misdiagnosed her. I want to hear more about wpw disease to understand her problem.

Palpitations are the main symptoms of Wolf Parkinson White, and they can occur at any time. Some patients learn to control them by holding their breath for prolonged periods, and make these symptoms easier. In many instances, the palpitations remain until they are terminated by medical therapy. Wolff Parkinson White (WPW) is a very rare cause of sudden death. Problem results from an additional electrical connection between the atria and the ventricles. WPW is diagnosed by performing an ECG, which usually shows two abnormalities when the patient is free of symptoms. That is a short PR interval and a delta wave, which is often an incidental finding during a routine ECG check. Commonly it is detected by a cardiologist when a patient is referred with palpitations, such as your mother’s case was. The ideal treatment in patients with symptoms is to destroy the extra electrical pathway, a procedure called radio frequency catheter ablation.