I am 53 yaers old, male. I am suffering from WPW (wolf Parkinson white) syndrome for years. I’ve been on medication since than, but there isn’t much improvement. On my last check doctor suggested surgery. He thinks that would be permanent solution for my condition. Honestly I am scared of operation. Is there any other solution other then surgery?

Well as far as know, the open heart surgery is most effective treatment for WRW syndrome in almost 99% of cases. It eliminates the extra heart pathways in almost all cases. There is also non surgical procedure called Atrial Fibrillation Ablation that would be some kind less invasive alternative. In this procedure, catheters (tubes) are threaded through the patient’s blood vessels to reach abnormal heart issue and cardiologist then with radiofrequency energy destroys the extra pathway. I think that is also very effective. Tell you doctor that you are scared of operation and ask him about this option. Take care!

In March of 2000 I had the Radiofrequency Ablation for my WPW. I was 18 it was the first legal thing I did as an adult. The doctors wanted me to have it when I was 16 but my parents did not want to make that choice. I signed the papers 4 days after my 18th birthday. It went very well for me. Had the surgery one day and went home the next. Almost no pain and I felt the difference right away. Before the surgery I was having 3-5 min long episodes a couple times a week. In the 10 years since my ekgs have all been normal. Only a very few times have I felt a slight flutter last about 2-3 seconds. Dr. thinks it is just a small piece of scar tissue that gets a lil spark every now and then. I am very happy that I had it done. Good luck