Hi guys.

I have some questions for you. I meet one friend of mine today while I was at my doctor's. We started to talk about diseases and issues and he told me that he was diagnosed with Orthostatic hypotension. I didn't know what this means so he tried to explain it to me. He told me that this is the same as postural hypotension as well. 

Maybe I don't get it, but I don't see any connection of it. Is there any chance for you to explain this to me?

Why Orthostatic Hypotension is called postural hypotension as well? 

Hey. Well I don’t know why but I always knew that this is the same thing. Orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension is a form of low blood pressure that happens when you stand up from sitting or lying down. It can happen to everyone. The symptoms are : you are feeling dizzy, you can feel lightheaded or maybe you can even faint.

It is often mild and it lasts for a couple of seconds or a few minutes after you get up from standing or lying. But you should not just forget about that because it can be a sign of bigger problems so talk to your doctor if you have it.

Hey everyone. Until now I didn't know what this is. I have those moments, I am fainting and I feel dizzy after I get up from my bed all the time. It didn't happened once or twice, it happens all the time to me. I went to see my doctor and he told me that I have bad blood count. So that is why he told me that I don't need to take any kind of medicine at all. But now I am really worried since I see that those symptoms can be postural hypotension as well. That is why I believe that I should seek for another opinion, right? I am now scared but I am glad that I found this topic. Thank you for this.

Hey.

I was pretty sure that those fainting thing and dizziness has something to do with low blood pressure but not with something that is even more serious than this. And when you say that it can be something more serious, I want to know what do you think by that? What this can be?

Is it curable or not?

And I was so sure that orthostatic hypotension and postural hypotension are totally different medical terms.

Now I see that this is not true and I am still waiting for the proper explanation.

Why is this the same? 

Honestly, I never was thinking why these two conditions has the same name. I know that I was reading about this and first I was reading about orthostatic hypotension and later, I was reading about postural hypotension because I saw that those links are connected.

I was pretty much surprised when I saw that this is basically the same thing.

I just don't know what this is, I never did any bigger research. Honestly, I don’t even know why is this connected and I don’t know is it really that important to find out why they are called the same?

Hey Couch Potato,

There is a pretty much simple answer to this: Orthostatic means of, related to, or caused by an upright posture, therefore, you have another name for this condition which is Postural hypotension.

This condition is often mild, lasting a few seconds to a few minutes after standing, so no worries about this. There are some things which can cause this condition and these are dehydration, fever, vomiting, not drinking enough fluids, severe diarrhea and strenuous exercise with excessive sweating can all lead to dehydration, heart problems, endocrine problems, nervous system disorders or it could happen after eating meals.

Hey guys,

Bee explained it quite well why is orthostatic hypotension also called postural hypotension.

It is a very mild condition, it is not life threatening or anything. There are some risk factors for orthostatic hypotension and the biggest of them is age. It is more common in people who are 65 and above and less common in those bellow 65. Medications can as well be a risk factor, including beta blockers, alpha blockers, diuretics, calcium channel blockers, angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and nitrates. Pregnancy and alcohol are also risk factors, certain heart diseases, heat exposure, and bed rest (if you rest for a long period of time).

Hey guys,

Well, I guess that you guys wanted to say that most of the cases of postural hypotension are mild, but not all of them. More serious complications are possible, especially in older adults. These complications include

- falls, falling down as a result of fainting is a common complication in people with orthostatic hypotension,

- stroke, the swings in blood pressure when you stand and sit as a result or orthostatic hypotension can be a risk factor for stroke due to the reduced blood supply to the brain,

- cardiovascular diseases, such as chest pain, heart failure or heart rhythm problems.

Hey everyone,

At least even these a bit serious complications are not that hard to treat. Treatments for orthostatic hypotension include lifestyle changes, including drinking enough fluids, drinking little to no alcohol, avoiding walks during hot weather, elevating the head of your bed and standing up slowly, compression stockings, they may help reduce the pooling of blood in your legs and reduce the symptoms of orthostatic hypotension, and medications.

Several medications, either used alone or together, can be used to treat this condition. For example, the drug fludrocortisone is often used to help increase the amount of fluid in your blood, which raises blood presssure.