Good day friends. My doctor, who is my friend as well, told me that disease called orthostatic hypotension is inherited. Now I got scared because my grandfather had this disease and I am afraid that I could get it as well. So, there are two main questions that I want to know the answers on - what are the main causes of orthostatic hyptension? That is really what I want to know, and the other is - can those causes be prevented?

I want someone who had experience with it or who had experience with people who had this disease to tell me more. Thank you.

Good day there. Well, there are so many causes. First, answer me this – do you feel dizzy when you stand up?  

Orthostatic or postural hypotension usually occurs when something interrupts the body’s normal and natural process. This can be caused by conditions, including dehydration, fever, vomiting, severe diarrhea, etc. Also, some heart conditions can lead to low blood pressure. If you had heart attack, that is also one of the reasons to get orthostatic hypotension. Endocrine problems can also be the causes. And, I believe that there are so much more of them. Hopefully, someone will give you detailed explanation.

Hello there. So, i assumed that there are so many causes and frankly I was really scared to know them. Now I will answer on your question - yes, whenever I get up from my bed or my chair where I am sitting I feel bad. I have headaches and dizziness. Those dizziness usually last for 30 seconds and after that I feel fine. Now I don't know what I should do about it. I always try to get up slowly from my bed, but sometimes I really can't. Sometimes when I can, I have dizziness again, but they last for 10 seconds. Please, tell me what are the treatment options? Thank you.

Hey there. First, it is very important to observe the symptoms that you are might having. The main symptoms are when you are feeling dizzy or lightheaded. Especially when you stand up from your bed. You can even faint. That is the main sign. Other symptoms are : blurred vision, nausea, you are feeling weak, you are falling, you have chest pain, etc. You need to know that these symptoms usually clear up when you sit or lie down for a couple of minutes. But, this is not a solution. You need to contact your doctor as soon as you see that this happens very often. After you go to him, he will do some tests and if you have OH he will set the proper treatment. In this case it is late to say something about the prevention.

Hello there. To prevent orthostatic hypotension, the modifiable risk factors must be considered. At the begging, the practitioner must assess the patient’s current medication regimen for high-risk medications. Your doctor also needs to know your history of disease. If the patient is currently taking a high - risk medication, the doctor must decide whether the medication is essential, or it can be withheld during the healing period. Also, it may can be changed to another agent that has less of a risk for orthostatic hypotension. It is very important to find the proper therapy because only with proper therapy you will be able to feel much better.

Hello there. Well, there are definitely a couple of ways to prevent it. Now, since dehydration is the most common cause of orthostatic hypotension, it is important to minimize the risk by keeping adequately hydrated. The easiest way is to drink a lot of water. This is especially important if an individual works or exercises in a hot environment. Fluid lost from vomiting, diarrhea, and other illnesses that are associated with a possible fever and it  should be replaced as best as possible. I believe that there are more ways of the prevention but this one is really the best. My friend confirmed me this.