If I stand up to quickly I start to feel light headed and sometimes my heart begins to pound. I am a 16 year old male 5'11 and I way about 12 stone. I excersize regularly. Its only the heart pounding I worrying about though because it hurts . If it helps my mother has low blood pressure. Whats the best cause of action

Health Guru
hi, I would say the best course of action to take would to be go see a doctor and get checked out as soon as possible.

It sounds like you need to be tested for orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension. It's very common in teenagers and in the majority of cases is something that you "grow out of." It also oftens occurs in the elderly. It's nothing to be too worried about but your doctor will have you lie down and then will take your blood pressure, your pulse rate and sometimes also check your oxygen levels. Then you'll sit up and the same things will be measured again. Then you'll stand up and have the same readings performed. In each scenario, your heart rate and blood pressure should raise only slightly and then nearly immediately return to normal. When it doesn't. you may have postural hypotension. It's easily fixed with a medication and reminding yourself to make postural changes slowly.