How is postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome diagnosed? I know that it can be very serious debilitating disease and that is not easily diagnosed. I think that my husband could have it; he was misdiagnosed with anxiety disorder which was nonsense. He has typical orthostatic hypotension symptoms, like light-headedness, increased heart rate upon standing, headache, nausea and impaired concentration.

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome is often difficult to diagnose and is sometimes misdiagnosed with anxiety disorder or panic attacks. Test that is vital for diagnosing POTS is tilt table test. Blood test is done to verify level of norepinephrine that is usually abnormally high in patients with POTS. But test to rule out phochromocytoma is also needed.

You also have to wait a period of time before the doctors can give you an "official" diagnose. I believe it is 3 months. They do that to see if it's not mono or so sort of virus.

Having a tilt table test in cardiology is ususally the defining test. I have had dysautonomia since I've been 13 and I became debilitated when I was 35. I was just diagnosed by tilt table test 2 months ago and I am now 41. It is a relief. The cardiologist even said to me "At least we have it on paper now so the doctors can't deny it any more". It was my internal medicine doctor sho requested the test. Sadly, patients seem to know more than the doctors but that should be empowering and not a set back. Good luck on getting a diagnosis.

My daughter was diagnosed at age 13 also. She was confirmed with the tilt table test. She stays under the care of a neurologist not a cardiologist. She tried the gatorade therapy, the salt tablet therapy and was put on blood pressure meds and salt and electrolyte drinks!