Hello everyone,

Well, I kind of knew that there was something going on with me so I went to see my doctor and even without doing any tests, he told me that I have low blood pressure (hypotension is its professional title, I think).

Is there anyone here who has this condition or knows someone who has this condition? I'm not sure what am I supposed to do now. Do I need to make any changes in my lifestyle? I need all the info I can get since this is the first time I've come across hypotension. How should one live with low blood pressure?

Hello Health n joy,

I've met a few people so far who had the same condition as you do. Hypotension can more or less be easily treated. Many people who had this condition were successfully treated, now they are living healthy lives.

Since you have this condition, you can take some steps in order to prevent symptoms such as dizziness or fainting. I'd suggest that you drink a lot of fluids, as well. Alcohol is definitely not suggested, a glass a day might do you good however. When you want to get up, you should always do it slowly and you shouldn't cross your legs while sitting.

Hello Health n joy,

Many treatments are available for hypotension. If you talk to your doctor, he will definitely suggest that you make some lifestyle changes.

If you don't have any strong symptoms but just mild ones, you might not need any treatment or any lifestyle changes. However, if you happen to have some symptoms, you should sit or lie down right away. You should put your feet above the level of your heart. If your symptoms don't go away quickly, you should seek medical care.

It's not that hard to live with this condition, you will get used to it pretty fast.

Hello there,

Thank you very much for your replies, Stradivarius and Adria, I really appreciate them.

That's a good thing to hear, I wasn't sure that living with this condition is going to be easy. Well, I'm almost sure that it isn't going to be easy in the start anyway but like you said, Adria, I'm probably going to get used to it.

Okay, so those are some useful tips that you gave me and I'm going to use them. Do you know if there are any odds that I might get better, that I might get to live without this condition?

Hello Health n joy,

Yes, you probably won't have any problems with hypotension. If you don't have any symptoms or if your symptoms are mild, you aren't going to need any treatment. But if you have symptoms, the most appropriate treatment depends on the underlying cause, and doctors usually try to address the primary health problem, dehydration, heart failure, diabetes or hypothyroidism, rather than the low blood pressure itself.

There are some medications which might help but you need to talk to your doctor about that. And also, it would help if you would use more salt and drink a lot of water, like they already told you above.

Hello there. Listen, low blood pressure is not always a sign of some big problem, so you really don’t need to be worried. But if you have symptoms of low blood pressure, you need to visit your doctor and he can diagnose the condition and uncover the cause. Symptoms of low blood pressure are usually dizziness and lightheadedness, especially when you stand up from sitting or lying down. You can live with it without having any problems at all. You can make some changes in your eating plan, you need to quit some unhealthy habits and of course, your doctor can recommend medications to control it.

Hey. Don’t get me wrong, but very easy. First, you need to understand what the low blood pressure is. I don’t agree that you don’t need to be worried, because it can be very serious. Especially if you feel faint than you should act immediately. In that case it is very important for you to try to sit or even to squat down if you can do it. If you are able to go to your bed, that is the best option. Also, elevate your legs in the air.  Also, I agree that you should seek doctors help because he will prescribe some medications that are going to help you in this health issue.

Hi there. My mom is dealing with low blood pressure all her life. It is very important to learn how to live with it, like somebody already told you. It is not hard. You need to find the best foods that you can eat in this case. Also, you need to cut out those foods that can lower your blood pressure even more. My mom is walking all the time, and I believe that this is helpful to her. Don't eat onion at all. That could be the biggest mistake. My mom is not using any kind of medications. Good luck. 

Hi there. Here is my experience. I have very low blood pressure, 90/50. I get dizzy when I stand up very quickly so I have learned how to get up slow from my bed, it doesn’t matter am I late or not. That is the only way to avoid to faint or to fell down. If you do some hard work or some hard fitness, try to avoid it because it can all affect that you faint down. Here are some tips – add more salt to your everyday meal program. You should also cut the caffeine. Maybe it sound silly to you, but trust me I have experience with it and I know that it is helpful.

Hi there. I agree with your tips. You should definitely add some salt and cut the caffeine. There are so many other things that you could and should do. For example, try to avoid dehydration that can happen. Drink a lot of water and also you can drink those sports drinks. They are very high in sodium and potassium and that is very helpful. Also, exercise more to increase blood flow (at least walk if you don't have time for workout).  Epsom salt baths are also amazing things.  Avoid heavy lifting as well. Eat smaller meals. That can become your new lifestyle plan!