For many years I have suffered from dizzy spells that last anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. I have high blood pressure which is controlled with a beta blocker. After sitting for, say, a movie, I stand and walk about 20 steps when my vision becomes blurred, I beging to shake (especially my right arm), and I can't speak coherently. I can hear but can't answer. Tonight, I made it as far as the restroom stall in the theater where I fell to the ground and smashed my fingers in the door as I tried to close it. My purse fell to the floor because my right hand couldn't hold it. I could not call for help. I could not stand up for several minutes. I have been tested for corotid artery blockage, and was found to be ok. Lately, my blood pressure has been a little elevated and my pulse is high (90 - 120). Can anyone help me? I am so stressed. I am worried about going anywhere. My family doctor has adjusted my blood pressure medicine that I have taken for 5 years. I have frequent pounding headaches as well.

i suffer from almost the same thing. have you found out anything since this posting

I have the same thing i was diagnosed with VASO VAGAL SYNCOPY.Was well for a while with beta blockers but i am doing it again.

You may have a multitude of potential problems. You need to see a neurologist as soon as possible. I would check with your doctor ASAP. One of the diagnosis i would consider is pseudotumor ceribri. An easily treated condition.

My name is danielle and i'm sixteen. Sometimes i get dizzy spells when i'm standing or walking around. I went to a doctor after i collapsed during a five minute run. i have asthma, but i've been to the doctor. i was sent to the lab where they did a blppd test and a urine sample. i never got anything back. the doctor said i was perfectly healthy. then why do i almost pass out when i get up from bed or stand up, or randomly get dizzy spells during the day?

Danielle, google vagus nerve disorders and see if any of it sounds like you.

For those of you suffering from VASO VAGAL SYNCOPY, I have suffered from it since I was a child. It became worse later in life. If you are sitting or laying down for any period of time you have to get up slowly. Start by moving your legs around to get your blood flow going. This has helped me greatly to do things slowly. Beta Blockers did not work for me. I drink a lot of water during the day and eat salty foods to help keep my blood pressure up. If you are not sure you have a syncopy problem there is a test called the tilt table test that can help diagnose it. It was not a fun test to do. If you have to stand for a long period of time, move your feet around and bend your knees slightly. This will help you avoid the "oh no, I'm going to pass out again" feeling. I spend a lot of time sitting on the floor in stores. Once you feel the onset of symptoms, sit down immediately, don't attempt to try and make it somewhere, that's how you'll end up fainting and possibly hurting yourself.

Danielle,
I am going though the same thing. I am 15 years old and i have gone to see alot of doctors in the past years but none have really help until i was watching the discovery health channel and mystery diagnosis came on, this girl had the same problems that you and i are having, i showed my mom the show and she watched it as well, she agreed that it sound just like what i was going though. The following day my mom called my doctors. We talked with them and showed them the show and they too agreed with my mom and i that it sounded just like me, but before they put me on medication they just wanted to make sure, they did a tilt table test on me and sure enough they discovered that i had orthostatic intolerance. (Orthostatic intolerance is Low blood pressure, or hypotension, which occurs when blood pressure during and after each heartbeat is much lower than usual. This means the heart, brain, and other parts of the body do not get enough blood.) The tilt table test showed that from sitting to standing i had a drop in blood pressure which causes the dizziness and blurred vison upon standing. My fainting problem was due to me having low blood pressure which is due to the whole orthostatic intolerance . Also the headaches are due to the whole lack of blood going to your brain. You should really watch the show it is called "the girl who kept falling down" you can watch it on youtube.... (there is 3 parts just to let you know) I really hoped this help!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I am alson a 15 year old girl going though the sam thing for the past year. I have been to countless doctors and I'm on 2 meds. They don't seem to be really helping. I find my vision is the thing that bothers me the most. In the lst year for the last 4 moths of school I couldn't go. It got to the point where I would pass out everyday. I could hear everything that was going on yet I could not respond for minutes. Before the faint I had really bad head achs that I would have for days at a time and not go away. I find the light really bothers me expecually in wal mart and at school. Its like everything is different from what it is spouse to be. I try explaining this to the doctors butt they seem not to understand. I'm still trying to deal with this problem and get though it. Reading this page and knowing I'm not the only one going though something like this made me feel a lot better. Knowing its not just me.

Hi i'm 15 years old and when I was walking to my 5th period class, I lost consciousness while still walking... after that I felt dizzy and had blurred vision. I have never had that happen to me and I'm really scared.

Hi my name is Gina i'm 14, I have had asthma since I was a baby, and well around a year or so i have been really dizzy, lightheaded,constant head aches, and also I have been fainting. Sometimes this ocurrs when I stand up, laying down,and just walking. My vison is fine it stays the same, but ppl can tell when i'm about to faint because my eys like start spinning I guess, It freaks everyone out because I fall backwards, my eyes go to the back of my head, my tounge falls back to my mouth, and my family says that me heart starts to beat really slowly.The doctors say it's nothing, but my family and I think that there is something wrong that they aren't seeing. Another thing is that my sister and my niece and I all have the same thing, but still no answers. So someone please help if you might have any info about anything it might be.

hey guys, I don't know if any of you have checked out POTS, or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. it can come with low and high blood pressure. if you haven't looked at it yet, i suggest you do. it can come on suddenly, and goes under multiple names: neurocirculatory asthenia, mitral valve prolapse (MVP) syndrome, irritable heart, soldier’s heart, idiopathic orthostatic intolerance, orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, postural tachycardia syndrome, hyperadrenergic orthostatic tachycardia and hyperadrenergic orthostatic hypotension.. among others. definitely check it out! it can be spurred on by a virus, adolescence, after giving birth.. it's less common in guys, but not by too much. definitely check it out. if you think this is what you have. you need a cardiologist, not a neurologist. trust me, i know from experience. it actually really sounds like this is what some of you have. pots is usually discovered from feeling sick only when standing/walking/running. some people faint, or will feel really dizzy.

my name is rosie and im 16

for the past few days i have had a really sore head and dizzy spells. iv been to the doctor and they have said there is nothing wrong does any of you have any idea what this could be please? xx

I'm not a doctor or a nurse or any person with any kind of medical training what-so-ever HOWEVER, I lived and cared for my husband with a serious heart condition for 23 years. I'll try and explain his situation in as few words as possible to keep from boring you. My husbands blood pressure (daily) was 280/190 and yes he was hard to live with. After living with him for 12 years, we finally decided to see a specialist (he hated doctors). The first heart medication the doctor put him on was a Beta-Blocker beginning with "Lisinopril".

The Lisinopril seemed to bring his blood pressure down but not as much as was needed so they doctors began trying every single Beta Blocker known to man but the Lisinopril was the worst medication he had ever been on. My husband was also having symptoms as you've described such as the headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion, loss of periferal vision, stars in his eyes, and unable to comprehend his surroundings. The other Beta-Blockers never did make a substantial difference by bringing his blood pressure down, in fact they didn't save his life either but the side effects weren't as bad as they were with the Linsinopril. What I'm trying to say is you might ask your doctor to try different medications to see if it takes the side effects away or if they aren't side effects maybe it's something the heart meds are suppose to reduce but aren't doing the whole task. Please don't stop taking your heart medication without talking to your doctor first. But maybe ask your doctor to try other heart meds to see what works best for you. My husbands doctor didn't want to try other blood pressure pills either but when he did it was actually something called "Bisoprl" and it worked the best for him and for my son. My son also has a bad heart with very high blood pressure but hopefully we caught his in time. My husband past away 2 years ago from a Massive Stroke. He had a faulty Aiordic Valve, and three clogged arteries prior to his open heart surgery. Then his Massive stroke happened 3 years later. Above all remember, your health is most important and take priority over EVERY THING ELSE in the world.

This sounds like cataplexy. You might consider a sleep study testing for Narcolepsy (especially if you have other symptoms such as falling immediately into a dream as soon as you fall to sleep or falling to sleep in the middle of other quiet activities such as a movie or in a waiting room)