my daughter has purple toes.....as if she has poor circulation.
The doctor just mentioned to me that she might have "postural orthstatic tachycardia syndrome" otherwise known as POTS disease. Is anyone familiar with this term and what it means.
My daughter is 16 and no tests were performed by the doctor....Her feet are just purple (mostly the toes) they are purple alot of the time.
Please let me know if anyone has heard of this and if further tests should be done. My father and grandfather both had legs amputated late in life due to poor cirulation and blood clots.
Thank you

It was very irresponsible from this doctor just to mention something like postural orthstatic tachycardia syndrome and not give you any explanation and not sign your daughter for further testing.

People who suffer from POTS disease usually have problems with fast heart beat when standing and experience symptoms like lightheadedness, fatigue, headaches, exercise intolerance, mental clouding and low blood volume. When treating this condition, the goal is to correct the problem of abnormally decreased levels of body’s blood and controlling this problem may help get rid of other symptoms.
To diagnose POTS, your daughter will probably have to see a number of different doctors like cardiologist, a neurologist, or an endocrinologist and have electrocardiogram to rule out any heart problems or any other underlying diseases that could have been causing such symptoms.

Now, if your daughter’s blue feet are her only symptom, it may be that she may “just” be suffering from circulatory problems or “venus stasis”-the blue feet.

Feet appear blue when the blood is accumulating in the feet due to poor circulation and are not returning to the lungs and heart to take the new oxygen. I am sure you already know how this works considering both your father and grandfather had severe problems and you may also know that this poor circulation could lead to more severe problems like blot clots formation.

Besides legs pain she might be experiencing, blot clots may be dangerous as they may travel up to the lung causing pulmonary embolisms and even lead to death if the clot should block the pulmonary artery that leads to the heart.

Now, I reckon you need to find a doctor who is serious enough to determine your daughter’s problem.

Is the doctor going to run tests to see if she does have POTS? Does she have the high heart rate and get dizzy when she stands? If not it might be a circulatory thing.. Does the purple area fell cold to the touch or does she say anything about her feet being cold or hurt? Does she have anyother symptoms that may be associated w/ POTS? Does diabetes or anykind of endocrine disorder run in your family?

i'm 17 years old and have a condition called raynauds phenomenon it caused by poor circulation. it caused the hands and feet to turn purple and even white sometimes.
Also, did your doctor do a "tilt table test" and did she fail?

tilt table testing is the best test you can do to determine whether or not she has POTS or not

I sugest you immediately find a different doctor for your doctor who is a little more considerate tp your concerns. I was diagnosed with POTS 4 years ago and it was a difficult diagnosis to reach. I had to see many different doctors , such as a neuroligist a cardiologist, an endocrinologist even a gastroenterologist because of the weight concerns and stomach upset it can cause. Ultimately i passsed out in front of my cardiologist, and she ran a tilt table which i failed and that is how iwas diagnosed. I sincerely hope your daughter can get a good doctor willing to look into her problem and hope POTS is not her answer. GOOD LUCK! If you would care to ask me any questions you can e-mail me at ****

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

I also have purple toes and have tried for several years to get an answer to my problem. I thought it was POTS, but recently I have had red, tender, almost blister like spots left behind after a purple toe period, does anyone else with POTS have that?

Regarding the last post, maybe I can help -- I have struggled with severe Raynauds for years and bad circulation with painful bumps on hands/feet. Just last year, I was diagnosed with Chilblains Lupus, which manifests itself in clusters of very painful nodules/lesions on the toes and fingers. Plaquenil has helped me with this problem -- a biopsy was required for eventual diagnosis. Rhuematologist and Dematologist worked together on this problem. Good luck and all the best!

I am 57, I have purple toes, & hands. My Dr. had a blood circulation test done on my legs, and that was ok. So, he said that it was probably just raynauds. My feet do hurt, and my hands, and I get those blisters on my toes, too. He told me that I had to live with it. Should I have more test done?

wow. all that was way more helpful than my doctor. i am 16, and my feet turn purple and are always ice cold. When ever I stand up I feel dizzy and short of breath, i get headaches all the time, like on a daily basis. my symptoms sound just like heather 2 listed. thanks all :-)

Im only 16 and I also have the purple toes, and the blisters too.
I went to my family docter and he told me I had dyshidrotic eczema, but that does not have anything to do with the purple toes...

All 10 of my toes will turn dark purple when they get hot quickly or become cold. My docter did do a little circulation test by putting his finger against a vein in my foot, and said my circulation was fine...

But why do my toes turn so purple all the time?
I have had 3 people in the past 2 days make comments about them,
and its quite embarrassing for me...

I want a diagnosis.

I have a daughter who is 13 and has purple toes

but they don't know why.they did blood work to see if something is going on there.Her feet do not hurt.

I am 21 and I have had POTS for 3 years. When I was in 6th grade my family doctor told me that my cold and discolored feet were just a sign of poor circulation and suggested I exercise and wear thicker socks. -He was so wrong-
The cardiologist I see now thinks that I need to see a neurologist about this problem, especially because of the POTS.

If you think that your daughter does have POTS, she should increase her fluid intake (I drink Gatorade daily).

Also, educate yourself on what POTS is and find a doctor who you and your daughter can trust.

Abt a yr ago my one toe started to swell on and off, and then it progressed to all toes on both feet (except big toes) now they swell really bad every few weeks and turn red and get blister like things around the toe nails.

I'm in another bad spell now and this time they are turning dark purple. (as well as being very swelled)

I think I've had every blood test known to man and nothing is coming up.

My hands are perfectly fine.

I've even had an ultrasound from hip down on both legs, and my doc has often done the pulse test in my feet- good there too.

Apparently it could be so many things, but I don't have other symptoms soo... ya....

All I know is that it is very painful, I can't wear shoes. And with them getting worse I'm worried what will happen next. :-(

3 months ago I woke up and noticed my 2nd toe was swollen and my 4th toe was purple. Went to my doctor that day and he mentioned Raynauds Phenomenon..but the purple toe is still purple..it becomes purple once waking up and standing through the day..My feet are FREEZING all the time..even in fuzzy socks. Hands are always cold. And I live in southern California. .warm. I do suffer from migraines and occasionally get dizzy standing up. I had a blood test recommended by my dermatologist because I was diagnosed with Grannuloma Annularre, it came back negative for any underlying autoimmune diseases. She again mentioned Raynauds Phenomenon and seeing a Rheumotoligst for my swollen/purple toes..anyone have this problem or have advice..All I know is my feet were once cute, now they have GA rashes, purple/swollen toes!

i am 21 and i too have purple toes and they are always cold and recently have been experiencing some some dizziness.... my primary doctor has referred me to a vascular sergeon and he is now refereeing me to a rheumatologist... and there was talk about sending me to a cardiologist... my grandmother and aunt both experienced circulatory problems... i wish someone could just tell me whats wrong because i hate not knowing... and not to mention jumping from doctor to doctor...