Hello. I'm 25 year old female and I'm pregnant over five weeks now.
About 2 weeks after I got positive results on one pregnancy test I started to suffer from excessive vaginal bleeding. So, this got me really worried because I was almost 100% sure that this is caused by miscarriage.
I have contacted my doctor over this and, after an ultrasound examine, he told me that everything is right with the baby. I was very happy when I heard this. So, he told me also that I will need some progesterone therapy also and he prescribed me some medication called Utrogestan! I don’t know anything about this drug so if anyone does- feel free to write about it!

I understand your worries because I was in a same situation about two years ago. I was also thinking about miscarriage as a probable cause of my bleeding but my doctor told me that this is quite common thing and also prescribed me Utrogestan.
Utrogestan is usually prescribed for postmenopausal women who are taking estrogen as hormone replacement therapy but it can be prescribed to pregnant women with bleeding problems.
The precise mechanism of this drug effect is that it prevents a buildup of the lining of the uterus and abnormal bleeding. It also helps support the placenta. By the end of the first trimester, the placenta is able to support itself. It can be also prescribed to restore menstruation if your menstrual periods have stopped.

I almost had miscarage than I started to use Utrogestan and everything stops.

I get pregnant in 6 January 2006(with 266 day calculator) with my last period in 22 December. Since 6-7 January I started bleeding (brown blood) and it last 2 weeks. It stopped for 2-3 days and start again. When I had sex I had fresh blood too, and for 2 days I had brown blood again. After it stopped again. I visit my doc, in that day I had no bleeding, and she put me on utrogestan. When I got home I had blood again and it last for 2 days again(brown). I newer had a test for progesterone she just gave me the medicine. The baby was fine but she could not hear the heart beating and she told me to visit her again after one week. Should I take the medicine? Did anybody had this kind of problem?

Of Course you should be taking your medicine - Utrogestan. That is what the doctor prescribed. I am 6 - 7 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby. I lost the first baby in January at 11 weeks, because my doctor didn't put me on Utrogestan, it was to late when we realized what was wrong. When I started bleeding (brown blood) again with this baby, she put me on Utrogestan straight away. I am using it now for 5 days and the blood is a lot lighter, almost completely gone. I find that it is better to lay down for about a hour after using it. I am very happy, because it gives me hope that everything will be O.K. with this baby. I am seeing my doctor next week, so we can look at the babies progress. Good Luck to you and your baby. Hope everything is O.K.

I am linda. Before a year i have aborted. Now i make test and it's pozitive . My last period was 20 February, and on 20 Mart, i had a little bleeding(brown) but it's stooped. After 3 days during seks i had a little fresh bleeding, but automaticully stooped.Now I am fine I consult my doctor and he prescribed me Utrogestan 100mg orally,and 200mg vaginally.I make and ultrasound too.How is my pregnancy, is that fine? And, am I two or three week? ? .Can somebody help mee?!!.

Dear Linda

Im in 2nd pregancy and I had the similar case like you. My doctor gave me 10days dosage since my 9weeks of pregancy.

It happened to me when i was in my 1st preganancy. I didnt know I was pregant and carried heavy documents and climbing the staircases.

This time I have to rest more. not to walk too much and rest on bed more.

Do observe the discharge daily and if the blood stains still occur and getting serious, pls see your doctor/gynae immediately. He might wanted to give u a jab and follow by more pills.

Take care and God bless all the pregant mothers & the fetus.

teresa/Spore

I also had the same problem after 6 weeks of my pregnancY started vaginal bleeding at the begining it was red as normal period and after i went to the doctor she precribed me utrogestan progresteron and normal vitamin b acid folic, than the color of bleeding became brown i had to stay in hospital for 9 days now my bleeding stoped and thank God the baby is ok.

Hi there,
I've been prescribed with a dosage of 400mg utrogestan daily for early pregnancy bleeding. Utrogestan is avalable as 100mg capsules.

What sort of dosage is generally prescribed?

Hi everyone,
I am 9 weeks of pregnancy, this is my third intent (2 abortions before) and because of the doctor, I am taking Utrogestan 3 times per day (100 mg each) until I will be 3 months pregnant.
I am worry for the fetus, anything wrong will affect the baby later if I have been taken utrogestan?.
Thank you for helping me.
Genoveva

Hi my name is Ramona and i'm 8 weeks pregnant with my second ,i had a misscariage in october.I've ben to hospital for scan and they couldn't tell tell my what happened,i also talk to my gp(i was very dessapointed with english medical system).This month I've been to a gynecologist in my country Romania and he advised me to take utrogestan 2 a day for the first 3 monts.My gp saw me this week ans she said that she doesn't know what this medicine is for and she advise me to give up taking it.I'm very confused and desappointed.can i get some help please?what should i do?thank you !

Hi, everybody!
I was wondering if you can take utrogestan vaginally if you have vaginal bleeding or spotting? I mean some doctors say that it still works okay and others say that vaginal environment changes when there's blood in the vagina and consequently the drug may not be absorbed well enough. Has anyone ever heard about this?

Hi, i am in my 7,2 weeks, it is my first baby, i did not find out i was pregnant ultil i start bledding (thinking it was my period) and it was 2 weeks already, i saw a doc from genral medic and told me to come back if after another week i was still bledding, also recomend me to take a home test. I did it and was positive, so next day i went to emergency with a gynecologist, and i got a vaginal ultrasound. So we check that baby was OK, completely normal, but the bleeding was for 3 weeks alreday, so prescribe me Ultrogestan 100mg 3 times a day for the first trimestre and also calcium, folic acid.

On the ultrasound the doc was able to see the deposits of blood, so he said that i will keep bledding until the blood get out completly, also that i have to be resting all day long for a week, and the only time i can get off the bed is to go to the bathroom, to prevent abortion, if after the week i am still bledding i will have to stay on bed for another week.

The Utrogestan is made to help the bag where the baby is to stay attached to the wall of the uteros. My doc has an specialty in Periontology. This cases has to seen by a Gynecolog with a specialty in Periontology, it is not any Gynec that can see this cases and can give you the best recomendations. This kind of pregnancy are considered high risk at least at the beggining mean while everything goes back to normal.

Hi! Don

Hi everyone,
i am 31 years old and five weeks pregnant after a miscarriage in July and last night i started bleeding (not too much but brown in color) and i went to see my Gynecologist today and he prescribed Utrogestan to be taken for 10 days(3x daily). Please i need some one to assure me all will be okay after taking this prescription.