Hi everyone,

My friend from college, the one that sits next to me since we started this year, told me today while we were drinking coffee during the break that she has been diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia. She said  that she was actually thinking that something is wrong for quite some time now but she thought that she will get better. She also told me that she has no idea how did this happen to her. I tried my best to hide the fact that I had no idea what she was talking about, I should have asked her at the very start so I'm here asking you if you can tell me what is ventricular tachycardia and what can cause it?

That's funny to me, you were there listening to her all this time and you didn't have a clue what she was telling you about. I would have loved to see the expression on your face while she was talking to you.

Ventricular tachycardia (VT) or ventricular fibrillation (VF) causes most of the sudden cardiac deaths in the United States, at an estimated rate of approximately 300,000 deaths per year. VT refers to any rhythm faster than 100 (or 120) beats/min, with 3 or more irregular beats in a row. The rhythm may arise from working ventricular myocardium, the distal conduction system, or both.

Hi BookAndTea,

The exact cause of ventricular tachycardia isn’t always known. In most cases, however, it is triggered by another heart condition. Known causes of ventricular tachycardia include: cardiomyopathy, which weakens the heart muscle, structural heart disease, which can be the result of heart damage from a previous heart attack, ischemic heart disease, which is caused by lack of blood flow to the heart or heart failure, which is characterized by the heart’s inability to pump an adequate amount of blood.

Certain forms of ventricular tachycardia are inherited, which means they’re passed down from a parent to a child. These include: catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia and arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia.

Good day everyone.  My friend is having this so I do know a lot about it.  Ventricular tachycardia (VT) or ventricular fibrillation (VF) causes most of the sudden cardiac deaths in the United States, at an estimated rate of approximately 300,000 deaths per year. But not just in the US, it is very often in Europe as well. Ventricular tachycardia  refers to any rhythm faster than 100 or 120 beats per min, with 3 or more irregular beats in a row, arising distal to the bundle of His. The rhythm may arise from working ventricular myocardium, the distal conduction system, or both. 

Hi there.

In some cases, the cause of ventricular tachycardia is unknown. This type of tachycardia is a very fast heart rhythm that usually starts in the lower part of the heart. Also, it is well known that ventricular tachycardia is a fast but regular rhythm. It can lead to ventricular fibrillation, which is fast and irregular. With ventricular fibrillation, the heartbeats are so fast and irregular that the heart stops pumping the blood. Like I already told you, the cause is sometimes unknown but in the most of the cases VT is caused by some heart diseases, such as heart attack that you had before, congenital heart defect, etc.

Hi.  My friend has ventricular tachycardia and her heart beats more than 130 beats per minute. I know that she was up from her bed a lot of times because she could not sleep. Doctor explained to her that her heart is beating very fast and that it has at least three or four irregular heartbeats in row. This condition can develop as very early or late complication of heart attack, but it also can happen to people who are dealing with heart failure, heart surgery, cardiomyopathy, myocarditis, etc. It can be very serious if you don’t treat it because it can lead to heart attack.

Good day everyone. Basically I know that there are so many causes of tachycardia, of ventricular tachycardia.  It is usually caused by something that disrupts the normal electrical impulses that control the rate of your heart's pumping action. Many things can cause or contribute to problems with the heart's electrical system. These factors also can include next:

• Abnormal electrical pathways in the heart present at birth (congenital)
  • Disease or congenital abnormality of the heart
  • Anemia
  • Exercise
  • Sudden stress, such as fright
  • High blood pressure
  • Smoking
  • Fever
  • Drinking too much alcohol
  • Drinking too many caffeinated beverages
  • Medication side effects
  • Abuse of recreational drugs, such as cocaine
  • Imbalance of electrolytes, mineral-related substances necessary for conducting electrical impulses
  • Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)

Good luck there!