Hey friends.

Here I am again. Sometimes I really hope that I won't have any needs to come in here with some questions and concerns, but this is just impossible. My mom called me today (she is 76 years old) and she was freighted. She told me that she was reading on the internet and that some symptoms that she has occasionally (lose of breath, headaches etc) are the first indicators that she is having ventricular tachycardia. I told her that she can't think like this because she needs to visit her doctor and let him diagnose it. But no! She is so hardheaded. How can Ventricular tachycardia be diagnosed?

Hello there Couch.

First here is what you need to know about ventricular tachycardia - your heart rate is controlled by electrical signals transmitted across the heart muscle. When something goes wrong with those electrical signals and signals are sent too rapidly, tachycardia can occur. Now, ventricular tachycardia is caused by other heart problems such as coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, an enlarged heart or even the heart valve disease. Ventricular tachycardia is a pulse rate of more than 100 beats per minute, with at least three irregular heartbeats in a row. The condition can develop as an early or late complication of a heart attack. How fast your heart beats can determine the diagnose.

Hello two of you. Well, you are lucky – I don’t mean lucky – lucky, but I am saying this because my mother –in - law was diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia three years ago. All thing that I can say about this is that sometimes it is hard to “catch” the diagnose at the beginning, but tnx God there are so many tests that can help doctors. An simple ECG can tell your doctor do you have it. When during tachycardia the QRS is more narrow than during sinus rhythm a VT should be diagnosed. As shown in fig 11, a very wide QRS is present during sinus rhythm because of sequential activation of first the right and then the left ventricle. During tachycardia the QRS is more narrow.

Good day people. I agree that ECG can show do you have it or no. But, here is the explanation. The diagnosis of ventricular tachycardia is made based on the rhythm seen on either a 12-lead ECG or a telemetry rhythm strip. It may be very difficult to differentiate between ventricular tachycardia and a wide-complex supraventricular tachycardia in some cases. I believe that this is the best way to find out do you have it or not. So, I believe that your doctor will recommend you to do ECG at the first place. Have a nice day. Keep in touch.