I shattered my knee 6 months ago and was given hydrocodone from pain relieve. I have been taking 4 to 5 a day, 750 mg. but am afraid of becoming addicted to them. I stopped taking them a few days ago and now I think I am having withdrawals, depression is overwhelming, sadness, tired, very very dark moods and was wondering if anyone else experienced this problem and what your suggestions might be to get through this. I can't sleep at night and have restless leg symdrome as well. Is this normal? Please help.

Same problem here. I was not taking as much as some people thank goodness. I started tapering off a few days ago. I, also had a leg injury. Was taking 2 to 3 7.5 mgs a day. I realized that the medicine was making me feel bad so I started taking less after about 2 to 3 wks. I then started taking 1 1/2 tablets for several weeks. And now about 6 wks after surgery, I am taking between 1/2 tablet to 3/4 tablet a day and believe me when I say at times I have felt awful!! Aching muscles, anxious, irritable and the worst symptom of all just started a few days ago. I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping. I lie awake for hours not even coming close to getting some sleep. In the morning, I finally fall asleep from total exhaustion and when I awake, do not feel rested. I am doing this right now which is how I found your post. I'm guessing, you are over your withdrawal!! Just wanted you to know that I having the same symptoms. Oh, almost forgot the RLS too!! That really sucks!!

Hope you are much better now?!!!!

Jenn

i have been on this drug for about 2 weeks. i have 120 mg sr in the morning and 60 mg sr at night. i am now stopping taking it as it has not helped with my knee pain at all but the rls is doing my head in. i will be in bed absolutely shattered but my arms and legs are all over the show.
i didnt realise the problems that went with it. i just wanted the pain to stop.

So similar
2 surgeries in one year and off to the races. Family crisis last week brought on complete "abuse" pattern to feel better. Decided I need to get off for good and that can deal with pain rather than addiction. I need help understanding how to deal with withdrawls and how I can possibly function at work to get through this. I took 3 -5's yesterday and 2 5.0 today. I have anxiety and have been on Paxil for 14 years with success managing anxiety. It came back this weekend something fierce. I felt AWFUL today. I have 18 5/500's left and attempting to continue to taper. I am also concerned that when I go down to one pill it will all start over again and when I go to zero it will all start over again. The sleeplessness is awful and the restless leg thing is even worse. Please help

I Have been taking Hydrocodone for over 9 years, I have begged the Docs to switch it up so addiction would not be a problem but it is so now tired of going through withdrawal every few months I decided I have to be done with it forever and just live with the pain. I have multiple compression fractures in my spine and it is not operable. Now I am starting withdrawal and I guess its going to be a bad ride. Any suggestions?

Your withdrawals will not be pleasant. I hate to tell you this. Those whom have posted already I'm sure have gone through their withdrawals and have either moved on or continue using their meds. For those who are seeking advice to their questions, I hope this helps. I was in a car accident in Aug. 2010 and have been on Hydrocodone ever since. My pain got so bad that I was taking 2-3 10mg pills every 4-6 hours. This was a very slippery slope. I was then put on a Fentanyl patch, which I would not recommend because it is harder to withdraw from. I saught the advice of a neurologist who finally determined for me that it was nerve damage. I am now being treated appropriately with nerve blocks and non-narcotic nsaid's. Please speak to your doctor's about this. Cymbalta seems to work well if you can get over nausea in the mornings (I take with dinner and sleep it off). Withdrawals will include anything from restless legs, hot flashes, headaches, involuntary twitching, etc. The best remedy is to just slowly taper off the meds. If you are taking 4 7.5's a day, go to 2, or ask your doc to go to 5mgs 3 times a day. You can also switch to other pain meds that are not as addictive, such as lortab, ultracet, etc. Darvocet was taken off the market due to heart related problems. So, if you are going cold turkey I would make sure that your second/third day off the meds is on the weekend or a day off from work because the next 2-3 days will not be fun. In a weeks time you'll be feeling better and living life as though nothing was wrong, other than the pain of course which you can learn to manage with OTC meds. Requip from your doctor will help with restless leg syndrome (I've had RLS for years prior to the pain meds) and OTC sleeping pills will help in getting you to sleep at night as well as the natural supplement Melatonin.

Another alternative to combat years of narcotic use is methodone. Most pain management doctors will prescribe this if you feel the temptation is to great to taper off the pain meds yourself. I am not a doctor so don't take anything above as advice, merely sharing my experiences from what I've gone through. Withdrawal sucks, but unfortunately it may be the only option if you truly wanna kick the habit.

The key is, when you feel concerned you are taking too many and depending on them, is to have enough to taper off. That makes a world of difference. And write down a plan of what you will take (whole, half, etc.) and when, and stick to that as law. You will still feel some symptoms, depending on severity, but the tapering will get your body used to life without them. What I did was wrote out a plan to get off them in 7 days completely. I wrote it out and followed it. I worked for half a day the first day, and took the next day off, then was able to go back to work. I stayed home because my bowels were off and I felt tired and flu symptoms, so I slept. There are things you can do to help during the tapering: take epsom salt baths for 20 mins, hot, and this will help with the muscle stuff. Add lavendar oil, if you can. Drink water constantly. This will help flush it out of your system. Distract yourself with films, books, and really try to make them positive, as there is a tendency to get depressed. Eat very healthy to help you feel good and remind yourself you are doing this for your good health. If you have access to a sleep aid like Ambien, use it for a few days to help sleep, but don't take with pain killers. If you don't, get over the counter remedies to help. Above all, it's the written plan that keeps you to the path and is a perspection to yourself, for your own good health. As my pain had lessened, I was not still dealing with chronic pain, nor am I a physician, so I would seek a doctor's advice about what to do for the pain that is not addictive. Accupuncture works for me, and massage, which is also great during the tapering process. This can be done, and the first couple of days are the hardest. This is for you, and so important. Good luck!

I have been on Norcos for about 3 years. I have had three back surgerys. This last one they fused my lower back. Hopefully I will be pain free in a year or so. Anyways, I have decided to quit "cold turkey". I went from taking 5 10-325s to zero. I am in my third day and feel like I am going through hell. This isn't my first time going through this, but will hopefully be my last. I haven't slept in 2 days, I feel like I want to chop my legs off because they are aching so bad, and I haven't eaten or have had the desire to eat for two days. One thing that does seem to give me some relief is sitting in the jacuzzi. Other than that I haven't found any relief. 2 hours ago I took 2 ambiens and 2 flexirals hoping to get some sleep. I didn't work. Does anybody have any advice? How long is this gonna last? I seriously don't know what is worse, my back pain and surgeries or the Norco disease. I think I have to get clean of these pills and get back to a normal life and hope the fusion worked. Either way I AM DONE WITH THESE PILLS!!!!!!!

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and from Nov-Apr I take Hydrocodone. I usually take it right before bed, so that the pain doesn't wake me up. During the bad times, when there are low pressure systems flying around causing me bone pain, I have been known to take them at 10am and 2pm and 5pm. Haven't had any trouble going down to at night, or when spring comes, none at all. Sounds like I am lucky!

same here Jenn.. and all...not alot of fun...

To heathseeker, thank u for your sugestións they have helped a little bit, I'm gonna try the salt bath tonite, I'm going through some really unpleasant withdrawls, hotflashes, nousia, hard time sleeping, I also know its gonna get worse, and I'm scare, I'm glad I can get some good information from u and everybody here, I taper my self down but tonight I have my last hydro .5 tomorrow its gonna be painful and Im struggling with depression and anxiety and my heart feels like is gonna come out of my chest, god I wish this can just be over with, if anybody has more sugestións please write, thank u, hope u all know u r not alone.

I have been on pain meds for four yrs. I started out on 5/500 then went to 7.5/500. Im up to ten to twelve a day. I know im addicted and need help. Ive tried cutting back and the rls kicks in and om Moody tired and irritable. Now if I dont take two when I get up, I feel like my chest is palpitating and im scared. Has anyone else had heart problems during withdraw? If so will u please share your experience with me.

I'm so glad that I found you this site, as I too am trying to get off of hydrocodones.  My situation started in 2011 when I suffered a bicep tear and labrum detachment in both shoulders. Because my mother was dying of cancer I couldn't bring myself to have surgery until I couldn't take the pain any longer and had my first surgery in April of 2012 and had my second shoulder surgery in December 2012. At my highest point I was taking 120mg hydrocodone per day just to survive the pain. Now, I've weined myself down to 25 mg today. This last 25 mg is a killer.  I wrote out a chart, cut all my remaining pills in 1/2 and have stuck to a chart of taking 1/2  Norco pill every 5 hours or so and then I take a couple of Extra Strength Excedrine a couple of times a day.  I feel terrible and just want to go take a whole pill and feel good but I've come this far to go back now. I'm going to start taking away 1/2 pill every couple of days until I'm down to 0. I sure will be glad when I'm off these, however I have to say that I couldn't have survived the pain of 2 shoulder surgeries and loosing both my parents in 2012 without them.

i have been taking 7.5 4 to 5 a day since my surgery now wanting to quit and felt like hell strong flu type symptoms almost felt paralized. once i started reasarching how to wd wow scary so many people are dealing with the same thing. i found this the thomas recipe, that really does help. you can get the stuff for pretty cheep at a healthfood store. tapering and prayer surround yourself happy things if you can get a massage it would help. goodluck to anyone going this, but getting off is the best thing you can do for yourself.

I had been taking 3-650mg pills of hydrocodone/Vicodin a day for a week, before then I was on morphine. I've never wanted to be able to sleep more in my whole life. This is the first night cold turkey, and it's hell on earth.  I can not sleep, have awful chest pain, and due to lack of sleep, a raging headache. Plus, my limbs just want to move and move and move. I'm done with hydros, hopefully next time this happens, I will have a plan to withdrawal safely. I advise anyone wanting to quit to save enough to ease yourself off of them! Trust me, you do not want this