Hello! My mother used to have problems with her sleep from time to time. She blamed the stress at work. But, her sleep disorders became more severe last year. She used to wake up at night gasping for air. She was almost incapable to work since she couldn’t concentrate. When she went to see her doctor he diagnosed a sleep apnea. He also tested her thyroid gland and said she was suffering from hypothyroidism. Would thyroid replacement therapy help her obstructive sleep apnea?

Hello! Thyroid replacement therapy is prescribed when there is a lack of thyroid hormones. Since some symptoms of hypothyroidisms and sleep apnea are the same (fatigue during the day, night sweating, etc…) I think that all patients should be evaluated for hypothyroidism in order to establish the right diagnose. As I know, no connection is found between the level of thyroid hormones and sleep apnea. Hypothyroidism in patients who suffer from sleep apnea isn’t greater than in the general population. Thyroid replacement therapy results in no improvement in sleep apnea patients.