Hello! My husband has been diagnosed sleep apnea last year. He has tried to improve his health in many ways since then. He went on a special diet since he was overweight, he stopped smoking, which was the hardest for him, and he started to exercise and walk almost every day. His general health condition has improved but his symptoms of sleep apnea remained. His doctor advised him to use CPAP device but he couldn't get used to it. Now, he is suggesting a surgery as the last option. I am not sure if the surgery will help him. Did obstructive sleep apnea surgery improve your life?

Hello! Many people are not aware how difficult sleep apnea could be. It must be a great relief to sleep normally after longer period of time. My father also had problems with sleep apnea. His condition was worsening as the time passed. He also couldn't tolerate the CPAP machine and the surgery was the only option for him. There are many surgical options and they all involve enlarging the airways by removing a soft tissue. Which of the surgical options will be performed depends on patient's anatomy and severity of the sleep apnea. Patients usually recover after a week or two if the procedure is not too invasive and complicated, as for example maxillomandibular advancement, where the return to normal activities and diet is expected after five to six months.