Hello! My husband has been recently diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea. He started to have sleep disorders last winter. He used to snore and it was annoying, but when he started to wake up gasping for air it was frightfully. His doctor recommended CPAP mask and my husband started to use it last week. He doesn’t feel any better and I was wondering if obstructive sleep apnea can be cured by operation.

Hello! Don’t be discouraged! Your husband has just used CPAP for a few days; don’t expect to see the results immediately. Most of the patients usually have problem to get used to the mask. Be patient and determined. Obstructive sleep apnea can be cured by operation but the type of surgery depends on a patient’s specific anatomy. Doctor considers all the risks, benefits and alternatives to surgery. The procedure involves enlarging the airways by removal of soft tissue such as nasal airway surgery, tongue reduction, palate implants, maxillomandibular procedures uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, advancement, hyoid suspension, bariatric surgery, and combinations of the above.