Hello! My husband has problems with sleep apnea. I was the first who noticed heavy snoring and then long pauses in his breathing during sleep. He was walking during the night and didn’t remember anything the next morning. When he started to feel headaches, sleepiness and mood changes we decided to visit his doctor. He diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea and told my husband to lose weight and stop smoking. He also said we should try with c-pap machine. Since he has never use it we would like to know is it helpful?

Hello! As I know, the best treatment for obstructive and mixed sleep apnea is device known as continuous positive airflow pressure (CPAP). It is a special mask over the nose and a mouth which keeps the airways open by adding pressure to the air the patient breathes. Your husband may have problems getting used to the device since many patients reported anxiety and less sleep during the first few nights, primarily because of the mask. It is normal and he should not be discouraged since it is safe and effective. Sometimes it is necessary to have a dedicated nurse to ensure close follow-up, especially in the first week of therapy and make adjustments to the device if needed.