I'm so happy to have found others going through what I'm currently going through w/ YAZ!!!!!! I started taking YAZ in May 2009. I've since gained 10lbs. and have constant breakouts on my face!!!!!!! I'm 25 yrs old 5'4'' and have stayed at a steady 118-120lbs. for as long as I can remember. I work out regularly and can't seem to get the weight off. I know it is b/c of the YAZ. I switched back to my old birth control (I've been on it for 5 yrs. prior to YAZ) within the last month but haven't noticed any weight loss yet. How long did it take you all to lose the weight after you got off YAZ!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!! Please advise.

Thanks,

JessJo516

i was on yaz for like 6 months & just recently went off of it because i had terrible mood swings, headaches all the time, & gained a lot of weight. i've been off the pill for over a month & i still haven't had a period & i've gained more weight.

Two years ago I experienced the beginnings of menopause; now at 50 yrs. old the worst experiences are the hot flashes and the lack of sleep because of them! My OB/Gyn put me on Yaz (June '09) b/c my estrogen levels were so low, at the time I weighed 113 lbs. I kept a moderate fitness schedule: 4 days of cardio and resistance training.

Yaz helped the hot flashes and sleep deprivation but I also gained weight. In the 2nd month of Yaz, I had cravings for anything and everything! I am just under 5.1 and 5 lbs of gain is like 10 lbs of fat! I see cellulite development in my tummy! which I NEVER HAD BEFORE! I work out 5 days a week: 3 days a week with a Boot Camp trainer, once a week yoga, once a week resistance weight training, twice a week with a cardio dance class..... I CANNOT KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF and I'm still gaining!

It's been 6 months (Dec. '09) and I now weight 121. I had small amounts of breakout and now, dark splotches around my mouth (I used to have flawless skin). With all the exercise and nutritional diet, I am convinced, after reading everyones blog that it's the YAZ! My Ob/Gyn also told me that Yaz would actually make me lose the weight.... NOT!

I have a history of Hypotyroidism, it's in my family history. I really should listen to my inner self and stop the Yaz. I'm due to renew my monthly prescription but I'm not. I really hope I don't gain more because I have stopped..... I'll try bio-identical hormone therapy.

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced the same using Yaz as HRT (hormone replacement therapy).

I know this is a really old feed, but I think its important for girls to know there are other people out there with these issues.
I was on Yaz for about 8 months, and didn't notice much weight gain at first, I actually really liked the pill. I am fairly tall, almost 5'8, and have maintained the same weight for about 6 years. But in the last 6 months I have gained almost 30 pounds with no change in my diet or exercise routine. To add to it, I almost completely lost my sex drive and woke up depressed nearly everyday. It took a serious meltdown before I realized maybe the Pill was the promblem. I have been off Yaz for a few weeks now and went back to condoms and spermicide. My sex drive is slowly returning and I wake up feeling ok again. Hopefully I can work off this extra fat asap!

I don't doubt at all that anyone here has had the adverse reactions that they stated due to their birth control, but it is important that you don't extrapolate side effects to all pill users. For some people YAZ works great; weight loss, acne control, cramp control, etc; for others, YAZ does the complete opposite. You need to try different pills to figure out which ones will work best for YOU.

Those of you with bad side effects, you're definitely not alone, but it's not because YAZ or your doctor is out to get you; it's because all of our bodies and hormone levels are different.

ive just started yaz and im noticing a large amount of weight gain after birth control too like ive always been naturally small but ive had a healthy body skinny but not too big but im getting bigger and ive only been on yaz a week

Oh my gosh, I am actually excited to see these responses, because this is exactly what has happened to me. I'm just glad I'm not crazy/alone. I was on birth control for years and switched to Yaz. I was alright on Yaz except I noticed some mild weight gain. Just figured it was me. I started having weird problems like numbness in my leg and hands, so I went off Yaz, assuming that was the problem. I started gaining weight like crazy and my skin wasn't doing so great, but I figured that was because I went off the pill, but my system never seemed to get control of itself and now my doctor suspects I have a thyroid problem. I'm trying to figure out if this was cause BY YAZ, or if the BC I was on before somehow was helping stabilize my system and being off of it has somehow brought it back all the worse? A lot of people seem to have experienced problems after going off of Yaz.

I too, have the same problems. i have been on YAZ since june/July and have noticed quite the weight gain, despite having a steady diet and walking at least a mile everyday. it seems like the weight gain is all in my hip area, which is what caused me to start thinking. Its not fat, just a big weight gain. I also have been really depressed the past few months, and couldn't quite figure out why. I originally thought it was a thyroid disorder, so I went to get checked, but was normal. After awhile, I figured out it had to be the YAZ. I just stopped last night, so I am hoping that I feel a difference soon, and can get a new prescription from my Dr. asap. Just wanted to add to the commiseration of everyone and let you all know, you're not alone!

Here's to losing the weight and feeling "normal" again!

I am joining you with the same issue. I was on Yasmin for 8 years without any problems and the doctor suggested me to change to Yaz. After a while, I notice heavy water retaining and weight gain even though I did not change any eating and working out habits. I had 130 pounds (on 5'5'') for years and in 3 months I gained 6,6 pounds and noticed also as mentioned above, cellulite on the stomach! When I asked my doctor about it, she said it is not possible to gain weight because of Yaz! But, more important - my mom died recently from aneurysm :-( (58 years old) and because of that the doctor FORBADE me to take any contraceptive pills at all! (due I am smoker and 35 years old and supposedly only pill it is safe for me to take is the one without any estrogen). Now I am off the pills for 4 moths and still gained another 6 pounds and seems to me I can not take them off! How did you manage to loose it? I am going crazy..... :'(

I started yaz for acne a year ago. I have ALWAYS been 125lbs and fit, I work out 5 days/week and eat SUPER healthy. I started yaz and began gaining a pound a week, now I am 40 pounds heavier than when I started WITH NO CHANGE in lifestyle, diet or exercise. And I didnt start it young so it's not my metabolism (I started it at 25). I told my OBGYN and she said, "It can't be yaz, yaz makes you lose weight".

Except my Endocrinologist said it IS yaz and she said she has seen this happened to a lot of patients because it affects your thyroids! I am getting Paragard put in next week and getting off this c**p!

Have acne? Get doxycycline or accutane, honestly, ANYTHING is better than what YAZ has put me through!

Thank goodness it's not just me, been taking it since October or November so about 6 months and have gained nearly 30lb!! I had to buy new bras yesterday because I can't wear my old ones anymore and my clothes have all been a write off for months now, it's awful, I'm going off stupid yaz after this package, hoping to shrink back sooner than later.

Hey all,

I was curious about the new effects that are coming in about Yaz and came across this post. I thought i'd help out. I have been off Yaz for 3 years and let me tell you, it is STILL something I talk about regularly because it severely messed with my weight and I haven't been the same since. First let me tell you my story:

I went on Yaz my freshman year of college (through my school), and immediately started seeing negative side effects. Keep in mind I am 5' 2" and exercise EVERYDAY! I have never had a weight problem in my life. Within the first week I noticed an increase in my appetite and was eating like crazy. When I went to the gym, I would weight myself everyday and saw I was consistently gaining 2 lbs a day. I attributed it to the mass quantities of food I was eating, and toned down my food intake and upped my exercise. But, to no avail I was still gaining. I complained to my school to try to get a different birth control pill and they said that I was probably experiencing stress, new diet, etc from college. This was not true.

My whole family noticed my weight gain and my mother forced me off the pill. It was like I had water weight, not the normal fat with traditional weight gain and it was in my whole body and face. I just blew up. All in all I went from 115 lbs to 130 lbs in one month. Probably the worst case.

As if the weight gain wasn't bad enough I had a series of infections (unrelated to Yaz) which brought me to the school doctor and kept finding strange results with my potassium levels. Kidney issues run in my family and my test results were consistent with those of Kidney disease. My family and I both related it to Yaz but didn't have anything to back us up. A year later it came out that Yaz leads to increased potassium levels. This is veryyy bad with anyone with kidney problems, like me, and I ended up being really sick for a bit.

So, I went off of it pretty quickly and haven't had any kidney-related issues, however for people asking about the weight gain, I'm sure it's different for everyone, but up until a year ago I was still balancing out my weight. I would say it took me 6 months - 1 year to get back to my normal weight, and 2-3 years to stabilize. I am sure some of it is growing up, changing metabolism, etc. but I was shocked at how long it took me to feel like "me" again. I'd say if you aren't off it yet, do so IMMEDIATELY. It sounds like most everyone on this forum is active and fit like I am, but it doesn't matter, it takes FOREVER to regulate.

I always tell people to run from Yaz and so I wanted to make sure to tell you guys, as someone who has been off Yaz for awhile, that it still isn't far from my mind. It is probably impossible to tell how much damage it actually did, but man did I deal with it for awhile. Good luck to everyone else and steer clear!

I had been taking yaz for about a year and gained around 15 pounds. I just quit two weeks ago and it already feels like I will have some control back. I have tries EVERYTHING this past year to lose weight and I couldn;t drop a pound. I also had some of the heaviest periods in my life. Besides keeping me NOT pregnant... I hate it!!!!

I know Yaz can do terrible things to some women but some doctors prescribe it the wrong patients. I have had terrible acne for a large majority of my life (starting from age 7 and I am now 20) and after trying Brenda and getting terrible, life ruining migraines on that pill my doctor suggested Yaz..and hesitantly too because it is so expensive. I ADORE Yaz.

It does increase my appetite but that is something you have to learn to manage and control. I also had weight issues as a teenager and learned to overcome them with exercise and healthy eating. If your body is hungry, feed it something that won't cause you to put on weight. Don't be stupid about it. Unfortunately, being a woman is about knowing your body.

I have much better control over my skin and still use all the products I have been using my whole life - mainly Galderma and QV products.

I also used to have such bad cramps (with and without the pill I took before Yaz) that my friends and family would find me passed out in random places because I couldn't get to painkillers in time or simply didn't really they were bad enough to make me collapse. Yaz has also solved this.

To suggest taking this off the market is ridiculous. Just be aware of what you want out of the medication you are taking and know what you're getting into. Don't let your doctor push you around and tell you what to take because of pushy medical companies.

It's good to know I'm not the only person this has happened too. I've been on yaz for about 3 years. Quitting it this month. I went from 140 ish pounds to 197 pounds. And to top it off I've been working out and eating right and it's going nowhere!!!!! The ridiculous thing is I wanted to change to a diff pill several times but my doctor said it was fine. Absolutely ridiculous and should not be on the market. Now I have to lose all this weight that I never had before!!!! And like some previous comments I always feel hungry and am full for about an hour and always have cravings I never had before. And to top that off I have migraines and headaches everyday!