For the past few months, I have noticed that the edges of my tongue are irregular.
The color is a brighter red that the more pink top of the tongue - as if it were slightly inflamed. I didn’t pay too much attention on it because I thought it was some “usual” inflammation that will pass away by it self.
Yesterday while I was brushing my teeth I have noticed that I have some white dots on my tongue.
My mother told me that it could be some fungal infection and that it will disappear by it self, but I can't believe her because she doesn’t know anything about this.
This has been freaking me out and I'm very scared. Please help me finding the cause of this condition.

These small white dots on your tongue could be a number of things.
First of all, you must know that sometimes every change in your diet or even change of toothpaste can cause these small dots on your tongue.
So, if this I the case, your symptoms are going to disappear in a day or two.
If you taking any medications, especially antibiotics, these will change the normal bacteria in the mouth and can cause tongue and mouth sores and such white dots on your tongue.
On the end, you mother could be right. It could be caused by some fungal infection because they are very common on this localization.
But you will never know until you contact your general practitioner and he determine the right cause.
I forgot to mention that they may be allergy related, or some vitamin deficient. But as I said, after physical and blood examination you will know for sure what is the cause.

Well, thank you for the information, I have the same syptoms, and I do take antibiotics (because I had some kind of throat infection). It helped to treat the infection but then I got those symptoms mentioned above. Also, my tongue becomes very dry, very abnormal.

and now I am almost certain that the antibiotics is the cause.
I must take AMOXICILLINE 500mg, 3 a day, for two weeks. Now I am in the first week. I hope it will pass away, cause I can't eat hot food, or drink coffee or tea.

anyways, I think I will visit my doctor about this the day after tomorrow(2day is saturday), because today it didn't go away and still hurts like hell.

thank you again, for the info

I too am taking this medication and since taking it have developed white patches on my tounge, can you tell me what your doctor advised or if the problem went away? I must take amoxicillin for 1 week.

one day i was brushing my teeth in the morning then i saw some whitish stuff on my tongue it when i try to scrape hen they move with my brush and sting when i scrub too hard idk wht it i thot it was thrush

These are only an inflammed taste bud in most cases many are triggered by foods, or medicines, sometimes the level of acid in your body fluxuating. Here is the best way I have found to get rid of them. Take a benadryl and break it in half take one half but periodically rub the powder from the benadryl on the spots that are inflamed. It is an instant relief and seems to make them go away quickly. Have a bottle of water on hand to swish off the powder before reapplying each time. It tastes bad, but helps.

small white bumps or signs of any bumps could possibly be because of your tongue constantly rubbing against something. for me, it was paper. it could be teeth, hard objects, anything that you have been rubbing your tongue on for a long time. dont worry though because they go away. you just need to rest them

as a result of the white buds I am also having bad test and smell in my mouths! It's a degrading and humiliating infection. can you please send me the best solution you think can give me relief of this infection.

what are the little skin tabs on mt tongue?

just ct them off with your toenail clippers.

I have a little patch of white spots on my tongue...I saw what you said..and I use a mouth guard every night..do you think it is rubbing against my tongue and causing this...Should I rest them and not use the mouth guard for a while?Thanks

I have a white spot on my tongue and I have been wearing a night guard...I have had the spot biosiped and have not found out what it is yet..but my feelings are it might be comming from my night guard...I will know more when I get the results of the test.