My tongue is SOOOO sore and painful on the left side on the underside of my tongue. There's no redness, no bump, nothing! It just hurts REALLY badly! I hate to make a doctor's appointment just because my tongue hurts and there's not even a bump. Eating, drinking, swallowing in general is just so painful. I got halfway through lunch and just had to stop because it feels like there's a needle going into the underside of my tongue. Does anyone know what this is?

What did it end up being? I ask because mine started hurting on Wednesday and it is now Saturday. There is no bump or anything but it really hurts.

My tongue has been hurting for over four weeks. I had been taking Lexapro for a few weeks, but was off when this started. (so, maybe the stressor that caused me to turn to Lexapro is wreaking havoc with my immune system).

First I saw the dentist and he was useless -- didn't see anything and suggested it was dry mouth (wtf?). Then I saw a friend who is an ENT. He thinks it's stress-related and prescribed a compound formula that no pharmacy will create for me.

A week later I got a bad cold and saw my GP. He tested me for oral herpes (negative) and thinks maybe it's fungal, so he prescribed a Nystatin rinse which is not doing the trick. I also saw an accupuncturist for my sore back, so I asked her about it. She thinks it's "fire in my gall bladder" and prescribed some Chinese herbs.

I'm thinking it's stress-related, possibly B-vitamin deficiency. To make matters worse, my cold from two weeks ago is lingering and my glands have been swollen. Strep? I hope not. I saw a suggestion for mixing Benedryl and Mylanta and swishing in your mouth before spitting out. I'll be trying that next!

I hope we all find relief soon!

ps ... I'm NOT a hypchondriac! It's very painful, and no one seems to know anything about tongues!

I have a had PAINFUL tongue for almost a month.
It started as a little white dot, then a white rash coated the tip and sides. That went away after a few days, but the pain is still there.
It gets REAL BAD toward the end of the day.
I use A bottle of Anbesol every 3 days.
The doc has no clue, I found nothing on the net, I am going to dentist next week. If I do not get an answer I will go to Ear Nose & Throat.
I feel like cutting off the tip of it just to make it stop hurting.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME????!!!
I am clean,monogamous, no herpes or HIV, etc.

HELP!!!!!

My tongue has also been sore for over 3 months on and off. Not one person can tell me anything, :-(

Please tell me you found something! Im going through the EXACT same pain and everything you described is me I promise and its happened twice & I would really appreciate a resolution.. but I know how you feel or felt and its horrible but its good 2 know im not alone..

My PT tells me the pain I feel on the right side of my tongue is due to the fact that I always feel a tooth on the right far back of my mouth with my tongue. He believes that side of my tongue has become stronger and in my sleep I hold my tongue against the side of my teeth on that side causing me to develop a pressure sore. I don't always see anything when I have the pain, but when I wake up my tongue has the shape of my teeth on that side. So in my case, he said STOP FEELING AROUND with my tongue unnecessarily. He did this interesting test and asked me to swallow, and see where my tongue presses. Sure enough it gets shoved to that side when I swallow. Though, it's hard to stop doing that in my sleep. I hope this helps.

You can try rinsing your mouth with warm salt water for a couple of days. I had the same problem and that did the trick. Also some people have a very high acid level in the blood/saliva. Try rinsing mouth with a glass of water and baking soda to soothe the pain.

i use some antibiotics my friend gave me and it went away in four days

I had the same problem two or so years ago. I just now got to wondering what was wrong, and I'm surprised so many people had the same problem. With me, my tongue got kinda nasty looking. The top looked like it was covered in a weird, yellow, (for lack of a better word) fuzz. It looked like a LOT of white lies all over my tongue, but it didn't hurt like a white lie. Everything I did, from eating, to drinking, to just plain swallowing it hurt. I felt like I had a million tiny cuts all over my tongue. It hurt just below the "fluff". Eventually though it just went away.

P.S. My grandma had said something about "tongue defluffing" or something along those lines. That's why I used fluff and fuzz.

Well, I too have had a tongue thing going on now for a couple of weeks. It's different than any other time because it goes away and then comes back. I actually went to the Dr. for it and got a somewhat helpful sollution. Gargle with benedryl liquid and malox. Then I was t prescribed a tube of "tar" to put on the spot at the end of my tongue that would not heal. The spot healed and the tongue was fine for awhile, but now it seems to be hurting again. I have read that it could be a vitamin B deficiency, and or iron so I'll beef up those two things and see if it keeps the problem away. I hope this helps:)

it's a latent strep infection...take a lot vitamins and stop smoking/drinking...

drop the stress in your life and it will go away forever... :?

I have had the same type things on my tongue. I ussually lasts about a month and then just goes away. I have been to 7 drs and there is no idea what it is and no medicine helps. I went to a "herbal specialist" she gave me something to cleanse my liver... it got rid of the bumps but not the pain....

to help with the pain get liquid pain killer and baby orajel... use the pain killer as mouth wash and the orajel numbs the tongue... that has been the most helpful and i have had this tongue thing 5 times in the last year and each last a month...

Did anybody find a answer, my tongue is starting to hurt its been over a month, and its the left side also. What can it be? somebody out there give us an answer :-(

Had similiar symptoms...went to Dr (worthless >:( )
Did on-line research...sometimes the stomach has too much or too little bacteria that helps it do it's job. Site suggested yogurt...didn't have anything to lose because tongue was so sore I could hardly swallow, much less chew.
Bought the greek variety and literally w/in a day my tongue was back to normal.
The only thing I brought away from the Dr visit is she said it was a "stress bump". This has happened before just before my "cycle"...stress or run down...who knows.
YOGURT helped.