Hello. I would really like to find out more about the condition I've developed because it started to worry me. Listen how it all started.
About three weeks ago I have noticed some strange small whitish lumps on the back of my tongue but I didn’t pay too much attention on it because I thought they are normal.
But, recently I have felt these strange sensations while swallowing and I knew something’s wrong. Yesterday I used mirror to see these lumps better and they look really awful. There are about four bigger and some smaller. Please tell me this could be normal and that I shouldn’t worry about all this. Whom should I contact?

Trust me- I really don’t want to frighten you but every unexplained red or white area or lumps on the tongue- especially if painless- may be signs of lung cancer and should be definitely examined by a doctor or dentist.
Don’t get me wrong- not every lump is sign of cancer.
Sores and bumps on the tongue can be also caused by oral herpes simplex infection, tuberculosis, bacterial infections, or early-stage syphilis. So, if you are sexually active- you have more reasons to be worried. Even some allergies can cause these bumps on throat and back of tongue! If you want to be sure-contact your ENT doctor for detailed exam and further evaluation.

Lofthouse, you're quoting "zebras" (very rare possibilities) for tongue lumps, and you're probably needlessly freaking people out. Lumps on the back of your tongue are only very rarely a sign of LUNG cancer. Lung cancer commonly metastasizes to bone and brain, not the back of the tongue (only in a handful of cases). If these lumps were to be cancer, they would much more likely be oropharyngeal cancer, probably squamous cell cancer. Such cancers are usually related to heavy smoking and alcohol usage. Another common possibility includes enlarged circumvallate taste buds. Tubercullosis presents with chronic cough, weight loss, and night sweats...lingual tuberculosis is again rare. Instead of throwing out zebra diagnoses, perhaps you should suggest this person just go see a physician who can assess and diagnose the person properly and without evoking anxiety.

Rosina, if you're still dealing with this and haven't seen a doctor yet...just go get checked out.

8) :? :?

hi i have the same sort of thing.. what did ur GP say?

Another likely cause is you ate or drank something very hot. The tongue can react causing lesions such as the ones you describe due to this.

i have the same issue on and off. they keep coming and going. they are way back where the bitter taste buds are and are all inflamed. in fact there is one deep down that i cant reach and touch which hurts.

did anyone get a firm diagnosis
Far

i have had pain while eating and swallowing on my tongue ? ?

I just noticed i have these bumps on the back of my tongue about 2 days ago. I have no idea what its from b/c i'm not sexually active. About 5 days ago i shared chapstick with this chick but it was only on her lips? Maybe. I have no idea...I don't wanna go to my parents with this as they will believe i've been doing dirty things with dirty girls. Help?

hey u may not actually need to worry xxx
"Enlarged Circumvallate Papillae--Circumvallate papillae are part of the normal anatomy of the tongue. Generally, these structures are flat and innocuous, however occasionally, a patient presents with enlarged papillae. They are considered normal. The whiteness on the rest of the tongue in this image is the appearance of the filiform papillae in the glare of a flash camera."
doctorspiller.com/circumvallate_papillae.htm (picture)
hope it helps lol

I have recently noticed lunps on the back of my tongue also. I also got a real metalic taste, did this happen to anyone??

They appear more red and I cannot see anything resembling a white colour. I have been to the docs and she stated that it was oral thrush? Inquisitive as I am I looked on the web for oral thrush and do not think I have been correctly diagnosed. She also took a swab of the back of my tongue, so I will let you come back to this forum and report.

As a cure I weas given some tablets to suck on, after only a day of using them, the taste has gone, but the lumps are still there...

hi im only fourteen years old and lately i have been getting a pain in my throat constantly when i swallow. i have been getting it every now and then for the past couple of weeks but today it has been really painful. i looked up tonsilitis but know that it is not that from the symptoms i havent been getting. today I looked in the mirror and saw that i have small lumps at the back of my tongue and its beginning to worry me. do you think it could be from allergies or something more serious? or just not looking after myself well?

thanks

filippa

Hi did you resolve your problems? I have the same bitter metallic taste and swollen papillae. Do you still have your lumps?

I need help, earlier in the topic it said that if you have red bumps in the back of your tongue, it could be sings of lung cancer, is that true? I have been smoking for 5 years now, and im a chain smoker. I just noticed these red bumps, their not painful, they just feel like a hairball, on the back of my tongue, i am not sexually active and im only allergic to one medicine. could this mean i have lung cancer or mouth cancer?

i noticed these red bumps on the back of my tongue, someone said earlier that it could be signs of lung cancer, something from being sexually active and allergies, well im not sexually active, im only allergic to a one certain medice. I have been smoking for 5 years now, could it be sings of lung cancer? I need an honest opinion on this..someone help please