As I am allergic on penicillin I have to be treated with substitution therapy. I got prescription for zithomax because of urinary infection that affected me. Is it really effective or is the second best option in cases of penicillin allergies? I haven’t been in situations to use antibiotics that often, fortunately. Please tell me something about this antibiotic. Thanks.

Azythromicin is very effective in treatment of bacterial infections. It belongs to group of macrolide antibiotics, their mechanism is based on interfering with ability of bacteria to make proteins and grow. Penicillin antibiotics are not always the first choice, even in persons that are not allergic. It is almost free of interactions, but should not be used with antacids based on aluminium and magnesium, because of their influence on absorption. Azythromicin is used once a day, which makes its use very comfortable.