I was diagnosed nongonococal urethritis and have to be on therapy with zithromax for 5 days. I have never had any sexual transmitted disease before, I am 18 years old, female. Can this STD really be cured within 5 days? I would like it to be like that, I had vaginal itching and pain when urinate and sometimes pain in low stomach. I had urine test and got this medication. Please tell me something about zithromax.

Zithromax is used in treatment of some sexually transmitted diseases, and in infections like tonsillitis, laryngitis, pneumonia etc. It is macrolide antibiotic, like erythromycin. It should be used 2 hours before or after meal because of influence of food on drug absorption. Zithromax is used for 5 days in treatment of nongonococal arthritis, and is taken once a day. In some infections, its efficacy can be shown within 3 days, like in sinusitis, because this antibiotic is very effective. It is free of side effects, rarely nausea, abdominal pain or diarrhoea may occur.