I use a wash face with 2% Salicylic Acid and it certain helps with acne.

However, I was reading online that this ingredient also helps various skin disorders elsewhere on the body for various conditions such as eczema, keratinization, psoriasis, etc...

So just out of curiosity, I decided to rub some of it onto the head of my penis in addition to my face in the shower once a day for the past two weeks.

My head has now become slightly more sensitive and I know it's not just placebo effect because the head has even turned a lighter natural pinkish color like that of an uncircumcised head, but dry.

I have not noticed any negative side effects such as redness, swelling, pain, stinging that some people may have when using Salicylic Acid on their bodies.

Now my question pertains to any long term effects of this on my penile area. I know that chemicals can be absorbed through skin in trace amounts, would this be enough to cause fertility issues?

I know they have Salicylic Acid acne creams that you're suppose to leave on your skin, but I'm just using the wash kind where you rub it on, then rinse it off. Is the short time of contact even enough to absorb? Are my concerns legitimate?

Thanks for your help!

-Thomas

cowabunga wrote:

-Thomas

What, no replies?!!!

I'd really like to know of this works. I have lost so much sensation in my glans and desterately need to get some of it back somehow.

Guest wrote:

I bet you've been circumcised, "Guest"? I had to have it done 5 years ago and was told that "I might notice some loss of sensitivity"!!! That doctor was the master of the understatement!! I can hardly feel anything now compared with before. Any form of sex (HJ, BJ or the real thing) takes ages and is so frustrating for both me and my girl-friend.

I'm going to try that acid stuff and hope it helps. I'll come back and let you know.

Fertility issues with using an acne treatment on the head of the penis?
I doubt it.
Fertility is the question about the viability of the sperm, which are produced in the testes and stored in the vas diference, epididimus, and travel the spermatacord.
I can't see any point at which these two locations cross until they leave the body, and then they are in the women's body. I also don't think that you'd be using this acne treatment during sex, would you?

As far as trying to get sensation back after a circumcision, I doubt that Salicylic Acid is going to restore nerve endings. But it may make the nerves and skin a bit more raw.

I think this is an interesting concept to research and I hope to hear further what you learn.

But I'd hesitate before telling anyone else to do it.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Kirk C wrote:

As far as trying to get sensation back after a circumcision, I doubt that salic acid is going to restore nerve endings. But it may make the nerves and skin a bit more raw.

Good luck, keep us informed.

It's my understanding that the main issue here isn't that nerve endings on the head of the penis have been destroyed, but rather that due to dryness and abrasions that would be prevented by the foreskin, the skin on the head of the penis becomes thicker (sort of like a callous)

Hi guys,

I had to post on this, dudes, be realllly careful using salycitic acid on your knobs - seriously, really. You may get away with it for a short time, but it's not likely to last, chemical burn comes next. After this happens, you wont be able to even handle moisturiser on it without potentially burning it. You could make stuff way worse - if you dont believe this I really suggest you see a decent GP about it first!!!! I tried all sorts of much milder stuff untill my penis got burned even by aloe vera gel and vitamin E moisteriser - nothing as full on as salycitic acid.

Some notes, however on Keratinization oif the glans and sensitivity, as I have just spent two years learning about it.

I was circumcised at birth, at about 35 I noticed the head of my penis had become creased, wrinkly and rough, yes it worried me a bit, over the next years it got worse, a partner commented and didn't want to BJ me cuase they thought it was a disease! Dr.s told me it was just 'dry'. I now know that it is keratinised. Pure Shea butter used regularly has assisted to reduce this effect a bit, but it takes time (3 months some effect now), and the effect is only slight - fortunately pure shea butter feels pretty slick (yeah?) so you can use it regularly (lol).
The medicos may suggest cortizone cream @ 1%, but I found it doesnt make much difference and it doesn't last, you dont want to use that stuff for more than a fortnight anyway without a break so it's not any real solution - dont bother (unless you do get a burn then it could help!)

The next way to assist de-keratinization is a manufactured cover, there is one on the market called the 'sensorslip' you wear it as a synthesised foreskin, apparantly over time the keratinization diminshes, and some claim even totally repairs!

However, the only true permenant method seems to be foreskin restoration (IMPORTANT - NON-SURGICAL!!! - surgical restoration sems to often make everything really messed up for good). Foreskin restoration is possible through gentle stretching techniques which cause new skin to grow over about three years, done with care and patience it can look very natural, you do not get your original foreskin back however, but you will regain a fair amount of sensitivity (apparantly). I am beginning this process currently.
For guys who were cut at birth this seems to be a revelation as they start to feel sensations they never had before. It can imagine it would seem a long process though for a person who has just decided to have the cut and now has lost sensativity - i feel for you mate - try the 'sensorslip' bro a lot of people say it works pretty well.

My tip : Google "foreskin restoration" and see what you come up with.

Cheers, good luck, fellas, I understand,
(Dave).

Yeh I agree with Dave, a non-surgical foreskin restoration is the best solution for returning some sensitivity to the glans.

Have a look at it on the norm-uk website, there's some decent information on there.

I just took a look at the Norm-UK website, and agree that there is a LOT of information there... lots of text heavy pages, and some links to commercial sites as well. It appears that this subject of foreskin restoration has a lot more fans and attention drawn to it than I had ever realized.

I am still not certain about treating the head with an salicylic acid, but I know that many men use shea butter as a masturbation aid... and that it helps to keep skin moisturized as well.

Thank you so much to Guest, age 35, for your contribution. You clearly have thought this out and have researched the topic a LOT! Thank you for sharing. 8)

I agree wit what Dave has said. Although salicylic acid might seem like a good idea, it can cause burns whereas you can permanently lose your keratinized layer of skin by wearing a cap or something along those lines instead. Please be careful! You really can hurt yourself with salicylic acid. Has anyone got experience with it?

Hello friends!
I´m 28 years old and I´m from Brazil.
During the end of my last relationship with a girlfriend I was not able to reach orgasm because the insensivity on my glans.
I went to two doctor(one urologist) and they told me that my problem was problably psychologic even after I told them that my glans weren't as sensible as was below the running water from the shower.  I practically didn't feel my penis during shower anymore. They also made me do hormone exams three times and everything was fine. After the incompetence of these doctors, I began searching about penis insensitivity and concluded that my penis had suffered keratinization. 
As the creator of the topic, I used, just one time (today), Salicylic Acid on my penis but for much shorter time than is advised to use in the acne treatment. I only left it in my penis for 30 seconds and I felt some increasing of sensitivity. I thought it was amazing. But, after the warnings of the friendwho searched two years about the subject, I decided to get some shea butter to keep my glans well hydrous. I don't want to take the chances on loosing the small sensitivity left on my penis using Salicylic Acid. Good Luck for all!

Hey guys how did the shea butter work out? Im thinking of getting some.

Hi guys. Really learning a lot with this post. I bought Shea butter and have been using it a week or so twice a day. Call me crazy but the skin on my penis head is looking and feeling much better. Starting to see the wrinkles or creases if you will actually vanish. When erect the glans actually has a shine to it. I am 50 and cut at birth. I am also noticing more sensitivity on the head which was my reason for the purchase. Good luck guys. Try shea butter. Feels nice while applying it and starting to see and feel a change...

Please everyone, FIGHT AGAINST THE horrible tradition of circumcision.

I do Bro, but I can't believe how many guys out there defend this. Those same guys do it to their own sons so they look the same. Stupid reason to put your own kid through the torture and suffering of having part of your penis amputated.

Based on research I have done, I think a lot of people are getting confused by the biology.

All of your skin has  a cell-making factory at the bottom.  It grows out new "live" cells and as they push up they become "dead" cells.  So, all your skin is a dead layer over a live one.

There are no nerves in the skin part (the cells).  Those are down deeper.  When I say deeper, by the way, we are talking about layers that are thinner than plastic wrap.  If you ever had a sunburn that peeled, what you saw was the layer of all the dead cells and some of the close-to-dead cells come off as a sheet.  That is why the skin underneath is kind of wet.  google "chemical face peel" and look at some of the pictures of what it looks like a day after they apply the acid to the face.

As the cells die they produce keratin, and once the cell dies it is almost all keratin inside - and all these cells are tied together side-by-side (that is why it is a sheet that peels). A remarkable thing is that the skin knows to make more keratin or cells based on what pressure and other things it is exposed to.  That is what makes a callus, which is just a super-thick area of dead, hevily keratinized cells.

Probably the best way to see this (and the deK process) is to look at the fingers of a guitar player, violinist, or anyone who exposes their fingertips to abuse regularly.  You develop calluses to protect the skin. But, if you stop doing it completely, they will get soft again in a month or two.  What is really happening is the dead cells in the callus (like all of the dead cells at the top) are slowly breaking off and drifting away.  In fact, most household dust is actually discarded dead skin cells (where did you think dust came from???).

So, the good news is that, if you wee circumcised and want to get things back in order, there are no nerves that got damaged and no "scarring".  Scarring is what happens when the skin gets really broken by a cut or scrape, and scar tissue never is the same (it's sort of like a glue).  All that has happened to your poor glans is it has a slightly thicker layer of dead cells than should be there. And, so long as it is scraping, unprotected, on your clothing and exposed to air, it will keep doing that. 

The really good news is that you should be able to get complete return sensation.  And, it really should not matter if you were circumcised a year ago or 50 years ago.  The skin cells go through the whole cycle in a month or two, so if you are 50 none of the cells from the prior 49 years and 10 months or so are long gone, no matter how much "abuse" they took. 

The real key seems to be keeping the glans moist and away from friction.  So, you could (in theory) do that with a silicone cover and some oil or waxy stuff.  But, if you really want it to work, its going to be best if it's covered 24/7 (except for showers and sex) by your own skin. 

The skin does two things.  First, it protects it from air and abrasion.  Second, it exudes a waxy substance called sebum. Sebum is the stuff that makes your skin greasy, and you can usually squeeze it out of pores on your face where your nose connects to the face, which is loaded with sebum pores - lots of people think it is dirt or wax, but it is your body's perfect skin moisturizer and protector.

So, if you can stretch skin over, you get full protection and ongoing moisturization.  In fact, the famous "smegma" is nothing more, really, than sebum, and often a bunch of dead keratinized cells being shed.  Likely what people who say "one day there was smegma" were actually experiencing was the point at which a fair number of cells had come loose and combined with the sebum, which makes little thinks that look like dust (because, as I said before, it IS dust).  The guys who have the "peel-off" experience, for whatever reason, have it come off more like a sunburn.

So, dekeratinization is not an event, it is a process.  Just as a stringed instrument player who stops finds the fingertips are softer in a month, even softer in two, and even softer again in four, it is the same dekeratinization process.

I was very surprised.  In my case, I was circumcised at birth - but thankfully for me it was a pretty loose circumcision (not what they call a "high and tight" one).  So, when soft, there is a bunch of bunched up skin at the corona, which often (especially when I exercise) actually rolls over the corona.  I started out trying the 72-hour test, and found I could readily use a rubber washer (cost of under a dollar) to hold my bunched up skin pulled completely over my glans.  What I noticed was that, when I take the washer off, the skin doesn't pull back on its own immediately.  It's pretty clear that even in a few days an oily substance that is actually pretty tacky (sebum/smegma) was quickly accumulating. And, even in days, it started getting more sensitive.

And, by the way, salicylic acid is just aspirin's chemical name.  It works to make dead cells drop off faster by loosening the connections between the keratinized dead cells so they fall off more easily.  That having been said, I have definitely in the past put high quality facial moisturizer in my glans and discovered quite a burning sensation in a few minutes.  Even a keratinized glans is super-sensitive - if you don't want it in your eye or nose you probably dont want it on your glans.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I think people get a little panicked imagining "damage" and "scars", and ongoing cumulative damage.  I can relate: once you think about what you are missing if you were circumcised, it does make you feel damaged and permanently hurt.  But you aren't, especially when you can develop new skin and have all of the working parts in place. 

And, by the way, you have more than you think - that sensitive pale skin from the circ scar to the glans IS the skin that was on the INSIDE of your foreskin pre-circumcision (you have to think about what they actually cut off in the circumcision to see this). So, if you can add more shaft skin, when you tug it over the glans the actual skin that was supposed to lay on the glans is right back where it belongs! (That's why, even in the circumcised, the skin on he bottom of the shaft from circ scar to glans is so sensitive.)  I think in my case, with my fortunately sloppy circumcision, I had an unusual chance that you couldn't have if you couldn't start out with the glans covered on day 1.  But I can tell you that once those skin surfaces were touching for a few days they started doing what nature intended, started changing texture and color, and started to stick together on their own.  I'll undoubtedly need more skin length to have it happen naturally 100% of the time, but the benefits start really fast once you have coverage.