I'm a 19 year old college student who works part time. I have been experiencing extreme tiredness to the point where I can no longer get all my homework done. Last semester I came home and took a nap every so oten, but now it is to the point that I am sleeping more than I am awake, here are examples from this week.

Wednesday I didn't have school and slept from 10 pm tuesday until 3 pm wednesday. Then fell asleep again at 5 until 9

Thursday I had class until 3:30, I was so tired in my 11 am class that I had to skip my 2 pm class to sleep at a friends room because I fell asleep in the 11 am class. I went to bed the previous night at 10.

Today (friday) I went to bed thursday night at 11 and slept until 9 am, got up for a bit and became very tired so I went back to bed until 3, I got up again to babysit and came home at 5 and fell asleep again until 10 pm and I am still tired.

I have been on depression pills for 4 years and at my checkup with my psychiatrist he said he wants my thyriod checked, but my mom wont allow it. I eat right as well. What is going on ? :-( this happens every week and I am falling behind in school.

Chronic depression can cause excessive sleepiness. Being asleep allows you to escape from stressful or unpleasant life situations. I agree with your psychiatrist that you should have your thyroid checked. I think you should also have a sleep study done to rule out sleep apnea, which can cause excessive daytime sleepiness. You are legally an adult at 19 year old, and it is your responsibility to take care of your own health issues.

My daughter is 19 as well. Can not stop sleeping. She has been diagnosed with anemia, hypothyroid and is taking medicine for depression. I also have all of the above. I am 44 and feeling very stuck! I want to help her and myself! ?????